Style

Thrifting Tips: 8 Fall and Winter Wardrobe Staples

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

If you’re strapped on cash, want to be environmentally conscious and hop on the Fall/Winter 2020 fashion trends, look no further than thrift stores! More often than not, you can find one-of-a-kind pieces that echo the same trends you see on the models strutting down the runway during Fashion Week. Below are 8 of this season’s trendiest pieces, and they can all be found at your local Goodwill! Also, just a reminder that if you are planning on thrift shopping, donate some of your own clothes during your shopping trip to keep these organizations running! 

Crewneck Sweatshirts

Crewneck sweatshirts have always been one of my favorite items to wear during the winter, but they are definitely trendy this season. Layer them with a solid colored turtle neck underneath and pair with your favorit jeans, and you have yourself an outfit that looks like it was taken right off of a Pinterest board! Another plus is that thrift stores always have tons of sweatshirts in both their men’s and women’s sections for much cheaper than retail prices.

Corduroy Pants

Corduroy Pants have become one of my favorite clothing staples this fall. I have a pair of thrifted brown corduroy pants that I’ve worn with everything. You can dress them up or down, and because they are often a thicker material, they’ll keep you extra warm when the weather gets chillier. 

Cardigans

Cardigans have reemerged as a trend this season, especially ones that are patterned, colored, or textured! You can wear them open or buttoned, or layered with a tank top or turtleneck. The possibilities are endless, and thrift stores always have a bunch to choose from.

Oversized Collared Shirts

This season, “business casual” and “dad” clothes are making a comeback, and the men’s section at your thrift store will have so many options to choose from. Whether they are patterned or solid, layering these shirts or wearing them tucked into your favorite pair of jeans makes for the cutest semi-professional look.

Baggy/Oversized Jeans

Over the past year or so, there’s been so many promotions for straight, wide, flared, and baggy style jeans. Especially this fashion season, oversized and wide fit jeans are becoming all the rage. To balance out the look, wear them with a cropped or tighter-fitting top to tie everything together. Also, check out both the men’s and women’s jeans sections to find jeans in this style.

Sweater Vests

While I have not yet been able to hop on the sweater vest trend, thrift stores offer plenty of options if you are looking to try one out. You can wear them on their own or layered, and they always come in a ton of different colors, styles, and more. Who knew that the little sweater vests our parents used to dress us in when we were younger would become trendy?

Mini Bags

Whether they be solid, animal printed, fuzzy, or pleather, mini clutches and purses are the perfect accessory to add to your wardrobe. They do the most in spicing up a plain outfit, and they can hold all of your necessities. Sometimes if you’re lucky, your thrift store will have a name-brand one at a super inexpensive price, and they’re always such great finds.

Windbreakers

Finally, vintage-style windbreakers are hands down one of my favorite trends this season. I found a vintage, red, Ralph Lauren Polo windbreaker on Depop for super cheap, and it has become one of my favorite things to wear when the weather gets cold! If you go to your thrift store’s men’s section, you can find a bunch of options. And, you could even use them for a ski-themed party or costume! 

Cassie Smith is a current Psychology major with a minor in Rhetoric & Composition at Holy Cross. When she'd not spending her time working for HerCampus, she's catching up with friends, graphic designing on her iPad, or perfectly organizing her Pinterest boards and Spotify playlists.