This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

And why I couldn’t be more glad

Since March is Women’s month, we have recently been thinking about the importance of some of the women in our lives. I, obviously, started thinking about my mom. Over the past month, I have been missing her a ton, especially missing the days when I would come home to her in the kitchen or be able to just get a hug from her whenever I wanted one. 

My whole life, people have compared my mom and I. Usually it’s in regards to our physical appearance, as I will admit we look scary alike. Meaning like, we have been stopped on the street multiple times by strangers shocked over how we look so similar. The people who know us both have also said, “Wow, you are literally the same person”. Yet, I never really saw these similarities up until recently.

Like I said, it’s been this way since I was little, but since moving to college, I have seen my mom in myself more than ever. Not having her around daily has made me realize the ways that we really are similar. I see it every day in small ways. When I go to the nail salon and my friends ask why I always pick out a neutral baby pink, I realized it’s because thats what my mom always gets when we go. My roommate asked why I fold my socks the way that I do, and I realized it’s because thats how I saw my mom do it growing up. When my professor complimented the way I write, I knew it was the years of learning from my English major mom. I find myself watching Gilmore Girls, the show she watched whenever I woke up in the middle of the night as a baby. 

Throughout my life I have talked about being a mom more than anything. Whenever I talked about it my mom always rolled her eyes and said “you’re too young, stop talking about that”. What I think she didn’t realize all these years was that the person I was trying to be most like, was her. I wanted to be a comfort to someone in the way that she is to me. 

As I look in the mirror recently, I realize I’m on my way to meeting that goal. I see her in myself more than ever, and I couldn’t be more proud of that. Because if I see anyone in myself, I would want it to be her.

Caroline Hanson

Holy Cross '27

Caroline Hanson is currently a freshman at Holy Cross studying psychology and education. She is from Lowell MA and plans to be a school psychologist before pursuing private practice! Se spends her time with family and friends, playing golf, and doing mental health advocacy work!