Wellness

This Isn’t the Most Wonderful Time of the Year for Some People – and That’s Okay.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

It’s the holidays! No matter what you celebrate, this time of year comes with expectations, surprises, and a whole lot of forced family fun. I’ve always felt the pressure to have a “perfect” Christmas celebration complete with meaningful gifts and lasting connections. I find myself longing for the pretty lights and stockings and hot chocolate – anything that helps to constitute a seemingly ideal holiday. 

Unfortunately, though, that isn’t reality. Families fight and spending lots and lots of time together can spur conflict. Everyone has a struggle, whether that be addiction, navigating loss, or managing emotions. Honestly, social media doesn’t help with this either. Looking at stories of everyone’s new gifts and perfect Christmas card photos makes me feel like I should be doing more. 

My favorite memories around this time of year don’t take place on Christmas day. It’s grabbing coffee and driving around my hometown screaming Taylor Swift with my sisters. Seeing the pure excitement of my little cousins as they hunt for their Elf on the Shelf. Dishing all of the details from the end of my semester to my mom. 

This holiday season, I want to appreciate those little things. Rather than allowing myself to get wrapped up in comparison, I’m going to aim for acceptance. I know that the holidays can be tough and overwhelming. I want to be a good daughter, sister, and friend – especially now. I think that it’s important to remember that nobody is perfect and that it’s okay to feel a little sad, even on Christmas day. 

Caroline Sullivan

Holy Cross '23

A Lover of books, coffee, and style from Long Island, New York!