The Rise of Alix Earle: How Being “Real” Can Go a Long Way

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

If you have been on TikTok in recent weeks, you’ve most likely heard of the app’s newest “it-girl,” Alix Earle. A senior at the University of Miami, 22-year-old Alix has found her claim to fame, and she has her viral ‘Get Ready With Me’ (GRWM) videos to thank. You may be wondering how Alix’s GRWM’s have significantly contributed to her newfound success since she didn’t start the trend. Here’s her secret: It’s not the pricey makeup products she uses or the way in which she styles her long golden hair; Alix’s genuine persona is what has captured the hearts of millions. The authentic and unfiltered way in which she engages with her audience in these short videos brings a sense of comfort to her viewers, who frankly can’t seem to get enough of the blonde bombshell of TikTok.

Whether she’s recalling a wild night out on the town or reminiscing on the ups-and-downs of her Accutane journey, Alix never fails to be unapologetically herself, and it definitely shows in her videos. Even though she may be completely open about the fact that she indulges in Botox, maintains her lip fillers, and splurges on pricey clothing items, many tend to judge Alix’s character by her physical appearance. This has unfortunately caused her to be stereotyped as a self-centered and conceited individual, which is far from the truth.

It is evident that Alix maintains a positive attitude and spreads that mindset to those who may need it, both on and off the internet. In her free time, Alix enjoys giving back to the Miami community, and has documented her service experiences in order to inspire her audience to do the same. For example, she continuously gives clothes away to the less fortunate and volunteers at local elementary schools by reading books to young children. On social media, Alix has made it clear that she embraces much of the negativity that she receives, which has opened the eyes of users who struggle with handling criticism. In one of her videos, Alix conveyed that she actually enjoys reading through some of the hate comments she receives, because a lot of them are true (since many revolve around how she resembles a Barbie doll, for example). In the wise words of Alix, “If you can’t take a good self-roast, then come on!”

Alix has a whopping 4.6 million followers on TikTok (2 million of which she has gained over the last two months), and there is clearly a reason for that. Alix’s success story proves that if you stay true to yourself not only on social media but in life in general, you will prevail. She brings a degree of optimism and authenticity to the table that the world needs to see a lot more of these days, which is most definitely recognized by her loyal fans.

Meredith McDonough

Holy Cross '26

Meredith is a sophomore from Woburn, MA who enjoys writing, dance and spending time with friends!