still from disney\'s loki
still from disney\'s loki
Marvel Studios
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

2023 Expected Release:

The Marvels

This is the sequel to Captain Marvel starring Brie Larson. The director is Nia Costa, who directed Candyman, and Marvel took the writer from WandaVision, Megan McDonnell, to write the script. With a grade A cast and workers on set this film is set up to have so much potential! I am excited to see where Carol Denvers’ adventures will go. With Deadpool 3 coming out and bridging the connection between Marvel and the X-Men, I am curious to see if Captain Marvel will be seen working with the X-men in the future like she did in the comics. Since her last story left off on planet Earth, I am hoping she will continue to have cameos with characters from the Avengers or additional superheroes such as Yelena Belova from Black Widow or Shuri from Black Panther. Characters like Monica Rambeau (Carol Denvers’s best friend’s daughter, who also appeared in WandaVision and joins S.W.O.R.D) and Kamala Khan (a teenager known as Miss Marvel and who idolizes Carol Denver’s) are going to fit into this new movie as well which will be cool to see.

Ant-man and the Wasp: Quantomania

Paul Rudd is perfect for this role and continues to prove it. I am so excited for the third Ant-man! The second film opened the potential for further discovering the Quantum realm and that is what this third movie will investigate. Scott Lang’s daughter, Cassandra, will be featured in this film played by Kathryn newton. The new villain added to Ant-man’s story is Kang the Conqueror who actually has no superhuman abilities except for the fact that he is a super genius. He uses his skills to develop technology that allows him to enhance his strength, have forcefield protection, and gather technology from any other time. I am excited to see if the movie will feature the “ultra-diode” ray that allows him to weaken superhumans. This villain will also be featured in The Avengers: The Kang Dynasty which is expected to be released in 2025. In the series Loki, the audience got a sneak peek at this villain, but he was named “he who remains”. Already from the trailer we see how Johnathan Majors successfully portrays Kang and one comment mentions how his demeanor, being so calm, makes it seem like his intentions are pure and yet he is planning mass destruction. Who will be betrayed, how will the tricks play out, and who will come out in the end?

2024 Expected Releases:

Deadpool 3

The Deadpool series has been a huge success for Marvel grossing around $783.1 million for the first film and $785.5 million for the sequel in box office sales. I am sure the third film will reach even higher as it will be the first one where a main character from the X-men is officially brought into the scene,  the Wolverine. Not only will die hard Deadpool fans, marvel fans, and X-men fans watch this, but simply anyone who enjoys comedy and Ryan Reynolds or Hugh Jackman. It will be interesting to see how Wolverine comes back after Logan. In this storyline, no one is 100% sure on what will happen except for that the writers have said they will continue with the theme of making the movie not “Disney-fied” and keep with Deadpool’s “lunatic” persona. Ryan Reynolds states in an interview that it will be unlike the others in the franchise. I am happy that Hugh Jackman is returning as the Wolverine and it will be very interesting to see these two characters interact as Deadpool is more light-hearted sarcastic, while Wolverine has a more hard-core snide commentary. However, both share the dark humor that viewers, including myself, love to see.

Blade

Blade will be played by Oscar-winner Mahershala Ali who is an incredible actor that received the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor and a Golden Globe for his role in Green Book. Originally the film was supposed to be released in 2023, but the director, Bassam Tariq, left the project. The exact plot of the movie is not yet confirmed, however, to give some background into his character Blade is a half-vampire killer, as his mom was bitten by a vampire whilst giving birth, who kills vampires and other creatures. Blade was originally created as a supporting character in The Tomb of Dracula comic in the 1970s, so it will be interesting to see his Marvel cinematic debut and what the character will be doing. In the comics he works with Spiderman, and this brings up future opportunities for expanding the series after the initial film is released hopefully in 2024.

2025 Release:

Fantastic Four

There have been a variety of versions of this series made taking on different origin stories and missions. Three movies were made from 2005 to 2007 with Jessica Alba as Susan Storm and Chris Evans as the Human Torch which grossed around $333 million in the box office for the first movie. There was then a remake which did not do too well with reviews in 2015 starring Miles Teller as Reed Richards and Michael B. Jordan as the Human Torch. However, the movie was still able to gross around 167.9 million in the box office. This tells us that this series is a great investment because it has a strong old and new fan base that no matter what will want to see it. I am excited to see if there will be any incorporation of the Silver Surfer or Dr. Doom, even though that has already been done, or if the four will fight against the Skrulls because the Skrulls were already introduced in Captain Marvel, but as good guys. It would be really interesting if the Frightful Four came into the scene because they are villains that have not previously been shown in film.

Colette Offermann

Holy Cross '23

Colette is currently pursuing an English major and minoring in Studio Art and Social Ethics and Business at Holy Cross. On her free days she loves to paint abstract works, try out new recipes, play tennis, go to wine tastings, and experience new activities within her community such as new restaurants and boutiques.