Taking on the Woo: A Crusader’s Guide to the Best Eats in Worcester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

Holy Cross has definitely upped its food game this year both with the Kimball Renovation and the speedy food-service available, thanks to the help of the new app Tapingo. Sometimes, however, it’s nice to take a break from the limited choices at Kimball and Crossroads and head into Worcester for something a little more savory. There are so many great restaurants and cafes to explore in Worcester, but here are a few of my own personal favorites. 

1. Mezcal
Mezcal is one of my favorite places to eat at in Worcester. If you couldn’t tell from the name, Mezcal is an authentic Mexican restaurant serving brunch, lunch, dinner, and dessert, in addition to a bar if you’re of age. Not only is it just a short cab ride away from campus, but I’m pretty sure they serve the best guac in the world. Althought they offer the traditional guacamole, they also have a great selection of other fun flavors like crunchy, Mediterranean, buffalo chicken, and tropical. Basically, they serve an endless pit of guacamole, so make sure you’re hungry! In addition, they have fabulous, authentic main dishes and offer fried ice cream for those who are feeling adventurous!
  2. Flying RhinoThe Flying Rhino Café is a great, casual place to eat at when family and friends come to visit. It’s just a couple minutes away from campus, and the food is to die for! They have a vast menu with tons of options, so you’ll be sure to find something that will satisfy your taste buds. For meat-lovers, the steak tips are on point. For those who love chicken, be sure to try the Ivory Tusk sandwich. It might sound a little strange, but its mouth watering, marvelous collection of chicken cheese steak with caramelized onions and American cheese on toasted Italian ensures complete bliss. In fact, sophomore HC student Dan Passarelli claims, “the Ivory Tusk is life changing”.
  3. Via
For nights when you’re dying to dress up a little, to go out with the bae, or just to have an adorable girls night, Via is perfection.The restaurant itself is very rustic and romantic, so its perfect for a date night! It’s a little fancier than the other restaurants mentioned, but the prices are reasonable and the food makes it worth your while. In fact, Via was voted Best Italian Restaurant by Worcester Magazine readers for the 7th consecutive year! Its menu is fantastic with divine pasta dishes, such as the pappardelle bolognese; yummy seafood and steak; and, of course, fabulous desserts, including the pumpkin cheesecake. Also, they’re now offering a super delicious Sunday brunch. 
  4. Sweet
If you’re looking for sugary desserts, Sweet is the place to go! With its shabby yet chic atmosphere containing high ceilings, brick walls, and sparkly chandeliers, and its delicious bakery, appetizers, and mixed drinks, you’re guaranteed to enjoy yourself. Not only is it the best place for dessert in Worcester, but Her Campus Holy Cross is hosting a launch party there on October 7th from 7-9pm! There will be endless desserts and heavenly drinks, including the signature Her Campus Holy Cross, so this event will definitely be one to attend.

5. Woobery
If you’re dying for froyo and are sick of the limited Kimball choices, head to Wooberry! It has an endless section of frozen yogurt and too many toppings to count (over 35 to be exact), including Kit-Kats, Reese’s, Twix, M&M’s, and Oreos. They even have a Woo Truck that occasionally makes an appearance on campus! Their signature dishes are awesome if you don’t feel like creating your own, and, to make it even better, Wooberry is a healthy dessert. The froyo here is all natural, kosher, and gluten free, thus making it guilt free!!