alexander sinn KgLtFCgfC28 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexander sinn KgLtFCgfC28 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Swipe Right; Mastering the Digital Dating Word 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

We are a week out from Valentine’s Day, and I’m not sure about everyone else, but I am for sure feeling my singleness this week. Many of my friends are currently in either relationships or very stable situationships. Don’t get me wrong, I have absolutely loved staying single for my freshman year. I think it allowed me a lot of room for personal growth, and I will admit I have loved being selfish with my time and doing what I want to do; not having to tell someone when I’m going out, etc. However, I think especially in times like this when everyone around you has their person and you don’t, it can feel a little lonely. 

I recently read an article that said more than half of the college student population is currently on some sort of dating app. So, while this is clearly a topic of interest to many, here is a guide to navigating the dating apps (fun fact: they don’t always have to be scary).

1. Stay Honest 

“Saying Honest” can mean a few things. Number one, stay honest about yourself. Don’t try to make your online persona someone you’re not. This means being honest when clicking on your interests and when filling out the “what are you looking for” section (because what’s not fun is talking to someone for a month and finding out they lied when saying “looking for a relationship.” So be honest because putting things that aren’t true is just going to lead you to incompatible people. 

1. Keep it fun 

Remember: this is low stakes. Your profile does not have to be absolutely perfect, it just has to showcase you, your personality, your interests, and what you’re looking for. I always say this also is the perfect formula for picking which photos to use. Have two of just you (and always make sure a solo pic is first), and throw in two with friends (this shows you when you’re naturally comfortable and having fun). If you have a pic of you doing something you love, like a sport or hobby, add that into the mix. Last but certainly not least, put in either a funny pic, prompt, or bio to add some personality. 

1. Keep an eye out for the red flags. 

Now we all have different things that we see as red flags. Whatever those are, make sure that if you come across any, do. not. ignore. Here are some things that usually have me swiping left or leaving on read.  

• Only 1-2 pictures (Like, c’mon. You really couldn’t find more than 2?)
  • Not moving the conversation. (I don’t want to talk to you through Hinge for two weeks straight. After a few days of good, consistent, fun conversation, it’s time to move to a new platform). 
  • Only using Snapchat (Okay fine, ask for my snap but at some point), but PLEASE ask for my phone number. Maybe this is a personal thing, but at 19 years old, I don’t need to make plans for a date with you through snap. 

So there you have it. My guide to navigating the confusing world of dating apps. So if you also find yourself wanting to maybe meet someone new this February 14th, stick to these tips. Remember: the biggest thing I need to stress to you is that the stakes are so low. So don’t stress and remember: it’s never that big of a deal.

Caroline Hanson

Holy Cross '27

Caroline Hanson is currently a freshman at Holy Cross studying psychology and education. She is from Lowell MA and plans to be a school psychologist before pursuing private practice! Se spends her time with family and friends, playing golf, and doing mental health advocacy work!