Surprise your family and friends with these vegan Thanksgiving Dishes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

Thanksgiving is a holiday where our family and friends come together to celebrate gratitude all while enjoying delicious food. For many, this is an opportunity to fill our plates with a variety of different dishes and desserts. However, for the many people that prefer to eat a vegan diet, this can be a challenging holiday to truly enjoy. This is especially hard if you are going to be gathering with people who are not vegan. 

Coming from personal experience, this is a time where I like to experiment with different recipes that I find online. When I share these with my friends and family, they are stumped and are, in fact, pleasantly surprised to find out it contains no eggs, dairy, and meat. Traditional Thanksgiving meals, like mashed potatoes, Turkey, apple pie and vanilla ice cream are all foods that Vegans can’t have. So, I compiled a list of recipes that I think would be perfect to bring for Thanksgiving. 

Entrees

Vegan mashes potatoes

• 2.5 lbs of potatoes 
  • ⅓ Non-dairy butter 
  • 3 minced garlic cloves 
  • ½ cup unsweetened soy milk
  • ¼ blended silken tofu 
  • 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley 

INSTRUCTIONS

• Boil 2.5 lbs of potatoes 
  • In a separate saucepan, combine the vegan butter, garlic, unsweetened soy milk, and the blended tofu on medium heat. 
  • When potatoes are done boiling, mash them in a bowl and add the garlic cream. 
  • Mash and plate! 

Source: @theedgyveg on TikTok

VEGAN BUTTERNUT SQUash soup

• ½ white onion 
  • 3 cups butternut squash 
  • 1 tbsp minced garlic 
  • ½ tsp paprika
  • ¼ tsp cinnamon 
  • 1 cup coconut milk 
  • 1 ½ cups vegetable broth 
  • Salt/pepper to taste
  • Olive oil 

INSTRUCTIONS 

• Chop the onion and butternut squash and bake at 425 for 20-25 minutes
  • When the butternut squash and onion are done baking, transfer them to a blender and add the paprika, cinnamon, coconut milk, garlic, and vegetable broth. 
  • Blend, then heat up on the stove on medium heat. 
  • Pour into bowls and add a few decorative swirls on top of a little olive oil and coconut milk. 
  • Enjoy! 

Source: @thepalatablelife on TikTok 

desserts

vegan pumpkin pie

This pumpkin pie recipe looks so good and only has 9 ingredients! If you’re looking for a recipe where you can quickly make it and then leave it to bake while you finish up other errands, this is the one for you. The author also added substitutions for sugar, the crust, and coconut cream if you were looking for a recipe that didn’t include those ingredients. I would recommend this recipe if you are looking to impress your friends and family with a dish that isn’t completely new.

Source: https://www.noracooks.com/vegan-pumpkin-pie/

VEGAN GLUTEN-FREE PECAN PIE

I found this recipe on Tik Tok, but I decided to link her food blog instead. This pie also had very minimal ingredients, and contains no corn syrup and no processed sugar. Instead, she uses coconut milk and maple syrup to sweeten. In addition to the instructions, she also adds how to properly store the pie so it tastes just as delicious a few days after Thanksgiving. Who doesn’t love leftovers! 

Source: https://healthygirlkitchen.com/recipes/vegan-gluten-free-pecan-pie/

Andrea Rodas

Holy Cross '24

I am a new member of the HerCampus chapter at College of the Holy Cross. I am a current sophomore pursuing a possible minor in computer science. I love to explore the outdoors, shop, and drink matcha!