This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

Hi, my name is Emily! I was born and raised in the northern suburbs of Chicago, Illinois! But
I’m officially a third year at Holy Cross! Here are some reasons why I miss the Midwest (in
honor of being home this fall break).

1) Family and Friends
As a junior in high school, I committed myself to the idea that I wanted to go out of state for
college. Growing up I was always very independent, so this would be my best decision. As a
third year now, I can confidently say I still get homesick. Going to school on the East Coast has
given me the opportunity to meet so many new amazing people. But missing the milestones of
my friends and family is still hard. Or not being able to just teleport home on a random weekend.
But it has also made me value the time that I have home, and be grateful for every moment!

2) Food
I often find myself craving cheese curds from Culvers. Then I remember this is not an option on
the East Coast. Culvers is a fast-food chain specializing in frozen custard & signature burgers
made with Midwest beef & dairy (my favorite are their cheese curds dipped in ranch). These are
some of the many food cravings that I get when I’m away from home. There are so many
delicious food options from amazing burgers, tacos, hot dogs, pizza and so much more! You can
find any cuisine that you can think of! Also can’t forget my mom’s and grandmother’s cooking!

3) Chicago
I am fortunate enough to live a car ride or train ride away from the beautiful city of Chicago.
This city continues to amaze me with all it has to offer. The city reflects our nation’s rich melting
pot, from Chinatown to Pilsen, and Greektown to Little Italy. It is a city that sits on Lake
Michigan and is the third-largest city in the United States. There is always something going on or
a new place to visit. I love that you have the option to visit such an amazing city in close
proximity to the suburbs.

Emily Arizmendi

Holy Cross '25

My name is Emily Arizmendi and I'm a junior at Holy Cross. I'm a Political Science and English Major from Zion, Illinois.