This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

As a 19 year old girl, I am most definitely on my phone way too much. It is always by my side, consistently within arm’s reach. I love my phone, but most of the time the small screen is just a source of distraction from the reality around me.

I found it was time that I definitely needed a ‘detox’ after the intense week of school I had before Easter break. Over the few days we had off, I made it a point to enjoy time without my phone and focus on the rare time I have with my family.

As busy as school was the previous week, I found myself on my phone almost just as much as a regular week. When I realized this, I came to the conclusion that I am not soaking up all of the amazing moments I want to. I decided I needed to make a change.

I was going to my grandfather’s house in Florida for the amount of time we had off from school. I was so excited to finally reunite with my twin sister, my mom, my grandpa, and my brother! I had brought a couple items down with me: bathing suits, sunglasses, some clothes, but most importantly, a book. One of my favorite things to do when I decide I need a detox is dive into a good book. This was a great decision.

I started Malibu Rising on the plane and was immediately hooked. I knew this was a good start to the trip. After the trip from school to Florida, I felt disconnected from the stress of school (as much as I love it). I ‘stopped to smell the roses’ and kept myself from going on my phone when I got to the house. I hung out with my grandfather and caught up with him for hours, then sat on the deck and read more of my invigorating book. I felt so good.

For the rest of the trip I tried to just focus on my ability to rest. As we explored outside, I left my phone in the house and did not face the troubles of scrolling through social media. I embraced the beauty of the ocean and weather around me without feeling the need to capture it in a picture. I was fully engaged with my wonderful family and we laughed over a game of Monopoly. I had meaningful conversations with my brother and sister. I went swimming for an hour at a time. I was no longer distracted. I only had my book to worry about.

As the trip came to a close, I realized how wonderful it turned out to be. I was disconnected yet so connected to the outside world. If you are feeling overwhelmed like I was, I encourage you to go phone-free for a little while, even if it is only for an hour. It really does help.

Sophie Steinbach

Holy Cross '25

Current sophomore at the College of the Holy Cross.