Professor John Anderson: Theatre Star or Mathematics Genius?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

What do middle school theatre, junior class dean, and mathematics classes all have in common? Professor John Anderson. Professor Anderson has been a teacher in the mathematics department for twenty-seven years and has taught everything from calculus to Montserrat courses to the first year program. His favorite class is Montserrat as it not only allows him to work on interdisciplinary studies but also is a new and unique experience each time.

He says, “I like that I can branch out from math and take advantage of working with new faculty members and learning from their expertise.” In addition to teaching, Professor Anderson is the class dean for the junior class. As a class dean, he focuses on making sure people stay on track academically by troubleshooting problems with students as well ensuring that everyone gets the most out of their educational experience.

Overall, he wants “everyone to stay happy, healthy, and productive as students and young adults.” For Professor Anderson, the best thing about teaching at the College of the Holy Cross is the student body. He says, “The students are very good and extremely hardworking. They are interested in getting the most out of their classes and that is evident in the classroom.”

Also, Professor Anderson appreciates the class sizes, because small classes allow for a more personal student-teacher relationship and a more comfortable teaching environment. This type of setting allows him to be himself with his students, an aspect he truly cherishes.

Aside from his expertise in teaching and advising, Professor Anderson was once involved in theatre. During middle school, he participated in many productions such as The Night Before Christmas, where he played Scrooge, and The Merchant of Venice, where he played Shylock. He says, “I was really into acting, a fact that most people are surprised about. Though I am usually pretty reserved and shy, sometimes I think a little bit of that theatrical behavior comes out of me in class.”

Whether or not that is true can only be determined in person, so keep an eye out for him around campus or in class and make sure to say hello. *(Professor Anderson is the second from the left in the first row)

Evan Grogan

Holy Cross

Evan Grogan is a senior at the College of the Holy Cross who is studying abroad for the year at the University of St Andrews. She is an English and Art History double major and eventually hopes to attend graduate school for journalism and write for The New York Times. When Evan is not busy with school and writing for both Holy Cross' newspaper and Her Campus, she loves to read; go for runs; and spend time with her friends. She is obsessed with the color navy, rainbow sprinkles, and anything involving glitter.