Not Kimball, Not C’Roads, … So Where?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

Whether you’re not in the mood to wait in the forty minute Kimball line, or you physically cannot eat another bowl of ramen, sometimes we all need a break from dining hall food. Luckily for you, I have lived in the Worcester area for my whole life and I’m here to let you in on some local favorites.

bREAKFAST

Bagel Time

Although in WPI territory, you will find the best bagels and breakfast sandwiches at Bagel Time. 

My Go-To Order: Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Sandwich on an Everything Bagel

Livia’s Dish

About fifteen minutes from campus, Livia’s is the perfect spot for a celebratory brunch with friends and family. With a breakfast and a lunch menu, you experience the best of both worlds. My friends and I have taken the cutest photos on their outdoor patio!

My Go-To Order: Nutella Crepes

lunch

nu kitchen

I have been a Nu Kitchen stan since it was called Nu Cafe. It is the best spot for food and has the cutest decor. I cannot say enough about it. Totally one of those places where I see my old babysitter or ex-boyfriend’s sister or my dad’s next door neighbor. Regardless, I make my way here at least once a week.

My Go-To Order: Literally anything on the menu, but my favorites are the Oahu Acai Bowl, the Southwest Salad with Chicken, Chicken Caesar Wrap, and the Pesto Chicken Flatbread Panini (Can you tell I’m a regular?). 

PRO-TIP: Bring your schoolwork with you! In high school, my friends and I would push tables together and spend every night of finals week studying here. I love scenery changes for schoolwork (and I sweat profusely in Dinand). 

Birchtree Bread Company

Next door to the Worcester Public Market, Birchtree Bread Company is ALWAYS a Yes! Make a day out of walking around the little shops after your meal. 

My Go-To Order: Birchtree Grilled Cheese (cabot cheddar, apple mostarda, coriander raisin). So cheesy. So filling. I have heard amazing things about their bread (unsurprisingly, as they are a bread company), but I have never tried it myself!

DOWNFALL: Parking in the Canal District always poses some challenges. You almost certainly have to pay (if you can even find a spot). I would Uber or get a ride.

Dinner

Peppercorn’s

I would have a hard time believing that any other family from Central Massachusetts eats Peppercorn’s as much as my family does. My mom has them cater ALL of our family parties, and everyone LOVES it. In my opinion, Peppercorn’s food is the closest you will get to home cooked meals. I would not consider it the most fun place for a Friday night out with friends, but for a nice meal, YES.

My Go-To Order: Risotto Balls (to die for), El Morocco Salad, Chili Lime Shrimp Bowl, Chicken Fontina

Nancy Chang’s

Growing up, my brother and I would count down the days until the next time we could go to Nancy Chang’s. Anytime my parents took us out to dinner, we would hound them to take us here. If it wasn’t Nancy Chang’s, we didn’t want it (Currently texting my mom asking why we haven’t been in months).

My Go-To Order: BUFFET so that I can eat three whole plates

Riley Peck

Holy Cross '24

Sophomore at the College of the Holy Cross in Worcester, MA