The Nine Stages of Finding a Summer Internship as told by Grey’s Anatomy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

1. DenialNo, no, no. You don’t really have to get an internship. Can’t you spend one more summer babysitting or lifeguarding? You’re not ready for business casual quite yet.

2. AcceptanceThe first productive step in the internship process. After logging onto Crusader Connections, making a LinkedIn account, and scouring internships.com, you come to terms with reality.

3. FrustrationYou’ve sent out about twenty applications. And got ZERO responses back.

4. ExcitementYou finally kill an interview. You and your interviewer really hit it off (bonus points if they’re an HC alum) and you want nothing more than to work. 

5. AngerThat interview you thought you killed? Nope. Didn’t get it. And no one understands why you’re so angry. 

6. JealousyWhen your friends (unknowingly?) won’t stop talking about their amazing internships for this summer.

7. MotivationThe Meredith to your Cristina (who already has her internship secured) gives you the best pep talk you could’ve asked for. You get one final rush of motivation from your person.

8. HappinessAfter you finally get a job offer, you’re filled with excitement. Dance it out.

9. RealityAfter your first few weeks of long days at the office, reality sets in.