Greece Santorini Travel Adventure Sunset
Jackie Ryan / Her Campus

My Study Abroad Bucket List for Athens, Greece

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

Last week, I was accepted into my dream study abroad program in Athens, Greece. I’ll be heading out there for the Spring semester of my sophomore year (unconventional, I know, but I love to travel), and I figured it could never be too early to start planning some of the must-see attractions I need to see while I’m there. Here, I’ve compiled a sort of bucket list of the top places, monuments, and activities I hope to do in the city and the country surrounding it! 

1. The Acropolis and Areopagus Hill 

dM0cOPnavyNuZeYVPvx bR5Vv5KAG7jToZsFiTNgWz3NHAE8dN 4wWigqqkpqdgARbMxkADepkF9Nr7QWxnQMgO0Ogh3hhnGM2tqX9Tpu4mruP 5YaIzXE4rxmhQcaI lMVwyjymp8VTNvtf0P6z5GE

To start out with a classic, I’d love to visit the Acropolis itself while also getting a spectacular view of its architecture from Areopagus Hill. Well known as a symbol for classical culture and the ancient world, the Acropolis is at the top of my list to see while in Athens. Also, a huge ancient mythology and religion nerd, the monument’s religious significance to the ancient Greeks, who believed the Acropolis was one of the homes to their gods, makes the destination that much more incredible to me. Besides actually walking around the Acropolis, Areopagus Hill (or Mars Hill) gives the absolute best view of the iconic building and will be perfect for pictures. 

1. Mt. Olympus

VzIQSRKlOrC9v1nZBDwPr9h5Jq3CRdzxnDt0sJctmGwt L7DLktDYEhkvp4KDgMoeuRkCD8s nqIbpTgdYn2fxOlaHbXCkOlprofiReNc5dJuLIV aiGyKcTC L6r ayROZKa7HQwYBhwK9GAkPiG2g

Continuing the Greek mythology thread, Mt. Olympus is another must-do location. The mountain is the highest in Greece and believed to be the ultimate dwelling of the 12 Olymian gods along with other deities. Although it is in a completely different part of the country from Athens, the program I will be traveling through offers the opportunity to hike Mt. Olympus, and there is no way I could ever pass up that chance. 

1. Anafiotika

UiAl6F6zp W9WocL6qHnGo6agutCuASx1v YLK93etarm Poi0wFXZimvnP3q1GdKdA6s4 NMTh8nxYiovHxj hRJe9PQb3nXmgbzs7GChTlKwIMEwupcxk5ZnPH10MlgCgG zZXmRu18dIUuWiGEhs

Anafiotika is a small neighborhood in Athens and is sort of a hidden gem of the city. It is known for its quaint architecture, beautiful plants, and vibrant nightlife. I’d love to walk around the neighborhood and check out some of the cafes and restaurants that are off the beaten path and well-loved by locals. Also, it just seems like the perfect place for an adorable photoshoot! 

1. Delphi

FY80fegc QRSyWJXTTE0n0qEiL Ftoq4wb500cZi2vQ7bThlLdW0lXPnt ky GhFmz3r

Back to mythology and ancient culture, the oracle of Delphi was a sacred place where any Greek could make pilgrimage to, and receive divine wisdom and prophecies. In many ancient Greek myths, plays, and even historical accounts, the oracle at Delphi shaped the courses of many fictional lives along with real ones. The god Apollo was supposed to have given some of his prophetic powers to the high priestess of Delphi, named Pythia, and she became the widely consulted oracle. I wish to visit this holy area as it holds a special place in my heart due to its significance to literature and mythology. 

1. A Rooftop Bar

repDn5wbYAO6ci1BwDwDqC0QHO 4BonltAmJtTrmuUfCbFJz7wyqBdb kwnzdAKUV60PlM68k j3 8meIPxpGvw1OL R pFVDoGSletUd6uoyNeJ4aTY925JwjtGAYz5oN736VOSvSJ0obKVUqrRZSw

Lastly, I need to go to a rooftop bar in the city. A for Athens, 360 Degrees Hotel and Bar, and a few other locations offer 5-star rooftop dining and drinks along tables that overlook not only the city, but also provides amazing views of the Acropolis as well. I hope that I can check out as many of these as possible while in Athens!

Natalia Jacuch

Holy Cross '27

Natalia is a dedicated and ambitious first year student at the College of the Holy Cross in Worcester, MA. From a young age, she has had a passion for creative writing and journalism, and she anticipates to declare an English major at the college in the spring. A New Hampshire native, she loves to spend time with her mom at the bay, go striper fishing, and go on adventures. She also enjoys making Taylor Swift friendship bracelets and playing card games with friends.