my predictions for the 2022 midterms: from a poli-sci major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

I would like to preface this by saying these are just my thoughts on what I will think will happen based on my understanding of the system and current events.

As of now, we have a unified government which is where the same party holds the presidency, House, and Senate; however, I believe this will not be the case anymore once the midterms are through. Right now, the issue that is on the forefront of people’s minds is the rise of inflation. This is an issue that favors the Republican party, and this will have a big impact on the election. Had elections been a few months ago, there would have been a good chance the government stayed unified because of the overturning of Roe V Wade. Political issues such as this tend to favor the Democratic party.

The House of Representatives is likely to go to the Republicans. Right now Democrats hold 220 seats while Republicans hold 212, but I expect that to change with the midterms. Unlike the Senate, the House is completely up for reelection. I would say about 220 seats are almost guaranteed to go to the Republican party and about 195 are likely to go to the Democratic party. There are about 20 seats up for grabs, but even if Democrats win them all, the majority will still be Republican. I believe the house will have at least a five seat majority in favor of the Republican party. 

However, with the Senate, the race seems a little too close to call. There are only three seats that are a complete toss up. Those being Georgia, Pennsylvania, and Nevada. Georgia’s current senator, Raphael Warnock (D) is up for reelection, but the state has a history of voting for the Republican party. His opponent Herschel Walker (R) was a part of the Trump administration, and has a large amount of support. In Pennsylvania, the incumbent however, is not seeking reelection. During the primary, Mehmet Oz (R) won his party by less than 1,000 votes, where John Fetterman (D) won by over 400,000 votes. Despite much support in the beginning of the race, Dr. Oz (yes, as in Dr. Oz from the show) is neck in neck with Fetterman. Finally, in Nevada, the incumbent Cathernine Cortez Masto (D) won the overwhelming majority for her party, and her opponent Adam Laxalt (R) won by a large margin. The two have been close since the primaries, and the seat is highly disputed. I feel there is a good chance the senate will end up being split 50-50, but it is a very close race.

I believe the government will become a divided government and will not be ruled by the Democratic party anymore. The House of Representatives will likely go Republican and the Senate is very close, but there is a good chance it will be split. 

Callie Gillan

Holy Cross '26

Callie is a current sophomore at Holy Cross and is studying Political Science and Psychology. In her free time she loves reading, trying new coffee places and going to the beach.