My Ideal Day Trip: One Last Adventure This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

Although the semester feels like it just started, we are quickly moving towards the end of it. With classwork picking up, studying for exams, and Thanksgiving fast approaching, the end of the semester will be here before we know it. One of the things I have enjoyed this semester is using my weekends to explore things that I couldn’t explore at home. Whether exploring Boston with my roommate or being immersed in the Worcester community during the stART on the Street festival that I attended with my Montserrat, I always come back to campus with experiences that I won’t forget anytime soon. 

One of my favorite places in Massachusetts is the Cape. It holds many fond memories that I share with my family after vacationing there every summer. However, I want to create new memories with my Holy Cross friends. While looking on Instagram the other day, I came across an ad for Love Local Fest on December 2nd in Hyannis. I immediately started picturing what my final adventure for this semester would look like. While transportation might be an issue, it didn’t stop me from planning what my day would look like. 

My day would start in Hyannis at the Love Local Fest. My friends and I would spend time exploring all the booths of the local businesses. I would possibly pick up some Christmas presents for my friends and family. We would spend a few hours at the festival before deciding that we were cold and/or tired from walking around and seeing all of the booths. At that point, we would head towards our next destination: Mashpee Commons. 

Mashpee Commons will forever be one of my favorite places on the Cape. While there are other better and nicer places, it is a nostalgic place for me. Once we arrived there, we would have lunch at Bobby Byrne’s Restaurant: the perfect place for any eater. After lunch, we would explore all the different stores my Californian roommate and bestie from Chicago are unfamiliar with. This would include the New England staples Vineyard Vines and Lilly Pulitzer. After shopping, we may pick up an afternoon snack at Charlie’s Cupcakes. 

After we visit Mashpee Commons, I’m going to visit one of my places on Earth: Popponesset Beach. My family and I have been going to this beach since I was little, and I want to share it with my friends at Holy Cross. This would be some of my friends’ first time on a beach on the East Coast, so I want to share my favorite beach with them. There is also something about the beach during the winter. 

Once we have explored the beach, it will probably be time to head back to campus. While we might all be tired from our adventure to the Cape, it will be well worth it. Here’s to hoping that this adventure will become a reality. 

Sarah McAuliffe

Holy Cross '27

Sarah is a freshman at Holy Cross from Mountain Lakes, NJ. She enjoys going to the beach, going to cute coffee shops, listening to music and hanging out with friends.