This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

Last week I made the incredibly spontaneous decision to sign up for a job with Holy Cross dining. I was laying in bed, still in a daze after my alarm went off, and filled out the application. “What makes you a good fit for this position?” With my brain still asleep I typed, “I am a very positive person, which would make me a great fit for a morning shift!” Sure enough, by 4:00 pm I had an email in my inbox saying that I was a great fit. They asked me if I could start the next day at D’Agostino’s Cafe in the science complex…at 7:00 am. 

I arrived for my shift at 6:52 am. I punched in, signed the attendance sheet, got introduced to the staff, and got to work. I worked the 7:00-10:00 shift preparing sandwiches in the back, filling GrubHub orders, restocking the shelves, and working the register. My classmates came by to get their morning coffees with remarks like, “Fiona, I had no idea you worked here!” or “They let you behind the counter?”. I giggled, humoring them, although they had no idea I’d heard that comment 47 times in the last 10 minutes. “Yup, it’s my first day, can you believe it?”. The staff are friendly, the customers kind and patient, and the Thursday morning paycheck justifies my Thursday night activities. 
The shift is definitely earlier than I need to be awake on a Thursday morning, but with no classes on Thursdays I need something to get myself out of bed and onto campus. I knew that if I didn’t have something to get my Thursday going I would sleep in and hang out at my house all morning, doing mindless tasks, only to be panicked on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday with how much work I have to get done for the week ahead. Unfortunately, I can’t say I’ll give you a discount because I’m not allowed to do that, but come by D’Ags Thursdays between 7:00 am and 10:00 am to see this positive employee hard at work!

Fiona Willette

Holy Cross '24

Fiona is a senior at Holy Cross studying physics and business. She is originally from Stamford, CT, but has loved spending her college years in Worcester. She is passionate about friends and family, cooking, being involved with campus and community activities as well as crossfit and working out. Her and fellow chapter member, Charlotte Keane, are so excited to be the Campus Correspondents this year!