This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

I have grown up going to the beautiful beaches of Cape Cod and Martha’s Vineyard, and for as long as I can remember, I have brought a beach bag with me. The items inside have changed as I’ve grown up, from sand toys to tanning lotion, for example. Now that I’ve entered adulthood, I feel like I have a practical lineup of beach bag necessities. Here are my must-haves:

Sunglasses

On a clear day, the beach is always a super bright environment since the sun reflects off both the water and sand. This can be really harmful to your eyes, so I cannot stress this essential enough!

Sunscreen

If you’re going to be going in and out of the ocean throughout the day, make sure you have sunscreen on hand! Reapplying may be annoying, but it’s definitely better than suffering from a bad sunburn.

Hydro Flask

They may be perceived as “basic,” but I could not be more of an advocate for Hydro Flasks. This is the only water bottle I have tried that has kept drinks cold for hours upon end, which is a necessity for a beach trip.

Airpods

As much as I enjoy the blissful sound of waves crashing, I often find myself wanting to listen to music while I’m sitting on the sand. Packing any kind of earbuds is a lot easier than bringing a speaker with you.
Tip: Keep your airpods in a plastic bag to prevent sand or sunscreen from getting on them!

Oversized T-Shirt

Owning an oversized shirt that you can easily throw on and off is a must for the beach. Whether you want less sun exposure or even start to get cold as the day winds down, this is such a versatile essential!

Snacks

If you’re going to spend a day at the beach, you’re going to want to bring some snacks to hold you over in between meals. Some of my favorites include popcorn, potato chips, and fruit!

Meredith McDonough

Holy Cross '26

Meredith is a sophomore from Woburn, MA who enjoys writing, dance and spending time with friends!