Meet the Co-founders of Holy Cross Her Campus!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

The spunky, dynamic, and fabulous Co-founders of the Holy Cross Her Campus chapter sat down with me Tuesday night at Crossroads to talk all things Her Campus. It’s clear when you meet this pair that the relationship between Evan and Caroline (Carol as referred to by Evan) is lively and spirited. They are two fun and ambitious women pursuing something that they are both very passionate about. Read more to find out about these two impressive, young females and how they launched the Holy Cross chapter!

Name: Caroline Keane

Year: Sophomore

Hometown: Arlington, Virginia 

Name: Evan Grogan

Year: Sophomore

Hometown: Fox Point, Wisconsin

1. Why did you want to start a Holy Cross Her Campus chapter?Caroline & Evan: We feel that Her Campus is a creative outlet for young women. Our writers are able to write whatever they want, with a specific focus on life at Holy Cross. Through this, we are forming a unique group of women, one that is as passionate about Holy Cross as they are about writing. We feel that Her Campus Holy Cross is a way for current, future, and former Crusaders to see what the school is all about, because it offers insights into student life, academics, and everything in between. We think it is a wonderful way to include and engage the student body in a way that was not available before. 
  2. Favorite Instagram accounts to follow?Caroline: @carly, @theglitterguide, @tuckernuckEvan: I mostly follow people I know, but @shibbystylee is super cool! 
  3. What is your favorite part about being a student at Holy Cross?Caroline: Besides the absolutely beautiful campus, I love the friends that I have made here. There is such a fabulous community here at Holy Cross, and I feel as if I am surrounded by my family even when I am so far from home. I feel special every day here at Holy Cross!Evan: I completely agree with what Carol said. I was nervous about coming here from Wisconsin and adjusting to the east coast life, but once I arrived, I felt right at home and my nerves quickly disappeared.  
  4. What are your majors?Caroline: Political Science and English.Evan: English and Art History. 
  5. In the future what do you see yourselves doing? Dream Job?Caroline: I’m not really sure yet…. My dream job would be equal parts Lauren Conrad, Sarah Vickers, Martha Stewart, and Olivia Pope.Evan: Journalism. I would like to be an investigative journalist/foreign correspondent for The New York Times or Editor-in-Chief of Vanity Fair.  
  6. How do you think having a Her Campus chapter is beneficial for the Holy Cross Community?Caroline: Being a tour guide, I always mention our chapter of Her Campus. I have received emails from prospective students expressing that the articles gave them a positive, new perspective on Holy Cross. Out of all of the emails I have received, four people have informed me that Her Campus Holy Cross gave them the push to apply Early Decision.Evan: Like Caroline said, we have had a direct impact on prospective students. So far, we have created this amazingly talented group of women who embody an array of ideals and interests. 
  7. What was the hardest part about starting a new chapter?Caroline and Evan: The hardest part of starting our Her Campus chapter has definitely been establishing our legitimacy. We are still struggling with this, especially as groups on campus view us as misrepresentative of all that Holy Cross is. We have put so much time and effort into starting Her Campus Holy Cross, and we want nothing but the best for it; so, we take all of these criticisms very personally since it’s so close to our hearts.  
  8. Do have any female role models that inspired you to pursue this?Caroline: I mean, Martha Stewart, and of course my Mom, Dad, Grandma, and Nana.   Evan: We both felt very supported by the women in our lives and our friends about starting a Her Campus chapter at Holy Cross.  
  9. When did you begin the process of starting the chapter?Caroline & Evan: We started the application process in March and didn’t find out until June that we had been approved. This process consisted of filling out an introductory application, editing articles, submitting our own articles, and a phone interview. Although all this was a lot of work, when we got the email saying we were officially a chapter of Her Campus, we both were so excited. We spent the rest of the summer brainstorming ideas, advertising Her Campus at Holy Cross, planning for the first meetings, and creating buzz about our new chapter.  
  10. Favorite place to grab a bite to eat off campus?Caroline: From Via, the pan fried mozzarella and espresso sundae, and Sweet for dessert (we have champagne taste on a beer budget…)Evan: Via for their brussels sprouts, Sole Proprietor for their apple brown betty, and Sweet for their cinnamon rolls. If you can’t tell, we love to eat out!  
  11. What advice would you give to your freshmen self?Caroline: Take advantage of everything offered and step outside of your comfort zone.Evan: Stay true to yourself. I was myself from the very beginning, which only benefited me in the long run.  
  12. Besides running Her Campus, what else are you evolved in at Holy Cross?Caroline: I’m in the Pre-business program, a conference coordinator for the Women in Business conference and co-founder of Women in Business Club, I am on the executive board of The Agency, Secretary of the sophomore class, a tour guide, a member of College Republicans, and a Campion baker.Evan: I’m a reporter and one of the News section Co-editors for The Crusader, I’m in the Pre-business program, I’m on the executive board of The Agency, a volunteer at Pernet youth group, and a member of the Holy Cross downhill ski race team.  
  13. What is one thing you want to do before your graduate from Holy Cross?Caroline: Find my future husband (just kidding, kind of…). I wouldn’t mind a visit to the Exorcism room.. maybe on Halloween??Evan: Host a soirée on the roof of a building, maybe Clark…?  
  14. Favorite blogs to read?Caroline: I am a huge fan of Glitter Guide and Matchbook magazine. I also read The Washington Post daily.Evan:  I read the blog Cupcakes and Cashmere, but I really love reading The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, and Chicago Tribune.  
  15. What are some of your favorite articles to read on Her Campus?Caroline: I love all the articles! They offer such insights into the writers lives, I really enjoy reading what everyone writes each week.Evan: I really enjoy the articles about peoples’ personal experiences- anything that is relatable to my life at this time.  
  16. If someone is interested in contributing to the Holy Cross Her Campus chapter, what is the best way for them to contact you?Caroline & Evan: Via email! carolinekeane@hercampus.com and evangrogan@hercampus.com