nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Making the Most of Fall in Worcester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

It’s hard and somewhat frightening to believe that October break has come and gone, and now we are almost halfway through first semester. For many of us, the fall buzz around campus brings eagerness for anything and everything to do with Halloween parties, autumn decorations, new clothes, and pumpkins (or pumpkin lattes for those of us who cannot resist). To satisfy your fall cravings, here are some options in Worcester not too far from the gates of campus:

1. Decorate your dorm room

On Southbridge Street the florist shop has pumpkins ($3.25) and Halloween decorations for your door and walls.

2. Canal District Farmers Market

Get some healthy and homemade snacks for you and your friends. They will turn out to be a lifesaver when you’re cramming for whatever test you have tomorrow. Open Saturdays from 9am-12pm.

3. Brunch at Birchtree

Take your friends or even a date to Birchtree Bread Company for fall vibes. A band on weekend mornings and a delicious organic menu makes for the perfect atmosphere when you need to escape campus.

4. Pamper yourself

Sometimes the best therapy after a grueling week of exams, papers, advising meetings, and hiking up and down Mount Saint James is a manicure, and Couture Nails is the perfect salon for HC girls. Here are some great Essie colors for fall: Smokin’ Hot 793— a versatile, smoky purple (added bonus is the HC pride), In the Lobby 935— a deep cranberry, and Vintage Wine 367— looks like you’re wearing your favorite glass of merlot. 

5. Community Harvest Project

This is located in Grafton, so it’s a bit out of the way, but if you are interested in a volunteer opportunity or if you simply want to spend some of the last warm days outside, the CHP is only about 20 minutes from Holy Cross. They take any and all volunteers who want to help harvest crops for the Worcester Food Bank. This is an awesome program, and the fall scenery is pretty great too.

Lilly Pochintesta is a sophomore at the College of the Holy Cross. She is majoring in Political Science and Italian and plans to study abroad next year, possibly at the Università di Firenze. Her hometown is Greenwich, CT, which, along with Holy Cross, is one of her favorite places to be. Time well spent for her includes reading (favorite book The Nightingale), watching the Office, and hanging out with her friends and sisters.
Evan Grogan

Holy Cross

Evan Grogan is a senior at the College of the Holy Cross who is studying abroad for the year at the University of St Andrews. She is an English and Art History double major and eventually hopes to attend graduate school for journalism and write for The New York Times. When Evan is not busy with school and writing for both Holy Cross' newspaper and Her Campus, she loves to read; go for runs; and spend time with her friends. She is obsessed with the color navy, rainbow sprinkles, and anything involving glitter.