This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

As consumers, it can be really hard to figure out which makeup brands are the best to purchase for everyday use. Skin is sensitive, and with little information on ingredients used in production, there can be major risks to our health. Sadly, animal testing in global beauty brands is still prominent in 2023 (big problem!). It can be extremely difficult to find alternatives to some of your favorite products and some of those alternatives may be from brands with not-so-great backgrounds. So…I am here to give some suggestions on ways we can counter animal testing! Here are some hyped up products that are tested on animals, along with very similar products that are vegan and cruelty free:

1. Laneige Lip Sleeping Mask → Milk Makeup Melatonin Overnight Lip Mask

The brand Laneige has blown up on social media mainly for their lip sleeping mask. However, the brand still tests all of their products on animals. An alternative to this product is the Milk Makeup Melatonin Overnight Lip Mask ($25). With ingredients like berry blends, Persian silk tree extract, and hyaluronic acid, it provides the perfect amount of hydration and fuller-looking lips. This is one of my all-time favorite beauty products and I highly recommend it to anyone and everyone!

1. NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer → LYS Triple Fix Brightening Concealer

NARS is a brand that also still tests on animals and their products contain animal-derived ingredients, making it a non-vegan brand. Instead of the well-known radiant creamy concealer, try the LYS Triple Fix concealer ($18). Not only is it vegan and cruelty free, but it is the first Black-owned clean makeup brand to be sold at Sephora!

1. Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder → Rare Beauty Always an Optimist Soft Radiance Setting Powder

Laura Mercier has one of the most famous loose setting powders on the market. However, their brand tests on animals, uses non-vegan ingredients and uses animal hair for their brushes. Rare Beauty, founded by Selena Gomez, is completely cruelty free and sells beauty products that are, arguably better, than some that continue to animal test. The Always an Optimist Soft Radiance Setting Powder ($25) provides a blurring and smoothing finish that compliments any makeup look.

1. Lancôme Lash Idôle Mascara→Kosas The Big Clean Mascara

There are many popular mascaras out right now, but one that came to mind was the Lancôme Lash Idôle. The brand tests on animals and is not vegan. A similar alternative, that is completely plant-based and cruelty free, is the Kosas The Big Clean Mascara ($26). Made with castor oil and provitamin B5, this product supports lash growth while providing amazing lashes with a longwear formula. Kosas also uses a similar brush style to Lancôme, with a slight curve to curl every lash in depth.

1. MAC Lip Products → Glossier Lip Products (many other brands too!)

MAC is America’s #1 lip color brand, known for their vast number of shades and finishes. It is time we, as consumer, distance ourselves from the support of animal experimentation and investigate other brands with similar products (if not better) for our makeup needs. There are numerous examples, such as Elf, Honest Beauty, and Lip Bar, but my favorite is definitely Glossier. The company offers lipstick, sheer lip color, and lip gloss, ranging from $15-18, perfect for any occasion.

These suggestions are only some of the many businesses out there that support animal rights and are cruelty-free. I recommend looking into the brands from which you are purchasing and feeling great about doing so!

Websites used for reference:

https://www.instyle.com/best-vegan-makeup-6542608

MAC Cosmetics

Kosas

Rare Beauty

Milk Makeup

Glossier

LYS Beauty 

Emily Johnson

Holy Cross '25

Junior English major at the College of the Holy Cross