Looking for Extra Cash? Donate your Plasma!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

As a college student who is very desperate for cash, I am always in search of ways to make some extra money. However, my problem was solved when I began donating my plasma at BioLife Plasma Services last spring. I heard of this program from a friend who donated her plasma to make some extra money for her spring break trip, and I thought I would give it a try myself. After going about 15 times now, and having made over $1,500, I thought I would share my experience with the program and why I love it.

How it works:

Essentially, your blood consists of four main components, red-blood cells, white-blood cells, platelets, and plasma. Plasma, the pale yellow liquid component of blood, is used in bio-therapies to help patients with life-threatening blood related illnesses. However, plasma cannot be developed artificially in a laboratory and must be donated from actual human blood. Through a process called Plasmapheresis, the plasma is separated from the blood, and your red-blood cells and the other components of your blood are returned.  Moreover, because plasma is the liquid component of our blood, the body can regenerate it very quickly through hydration. The body actually replenished plasma so quickly that donors can schedule appointments twice a week. Just make sure to drink lots of water before and after your donation.

More in-depth video explanation:

What to expect:

At Biolife, there is a very structured routine when you go to donate, and each trip usually takes between 1-2 hours depending on how busy the center is. The first time you donate does take longer than a regular trip (mine took about 3 hours) because you must  undergo a physical examination and fill out an extensive questionnaire relating to your health. However, the physical examination and the extensive questionnaire are a one-time requirement for first time donors. Therefore, at the beginning of each subsequent visit, you must fill out a very quick questionnaire (5-10 minutes) and get your vitals checked, to ensure you are in a good physical condition to donate on that day. Then, once you are approved, you are sent to a donation chair where a phlebotomist extracts your blood for the donation. Although 1-2 hours may seem like a long time, the high compensation makes it worth it, and I know that my donation is being used to help individuals in need. This fall, I made $700 in just 4 weeks, while last spring I made $900 in the same amount of time. Not only this, but the donation center is a mere 10 minutes down the road from my campus, so the commute is nothing. Obviously if you are made uneasy or scared of needles and blood, then this process is not for you. However, if you are unphased like me, then donating your plasma is a quick and easy way to make good money and help people in need.

Hannah Delea

Holy Cross '23

Hannah Delea is a current junior at Holy Cross pursuing a degree in political science and a self designed interdisciplinary minor called "business, ethics, and society". She loves all things beauty and fashion, as well as health and fitness, which you can read more about in her articles.