Just Because It’s the Holiday Season Doesn’t Mean COVID-19 Is Over

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

Listen, I know how frustrating it is to have to miss out on holidays. Since lockdown began in March, it has been absolutely awful staying cooped up inside and only seeing a small circle of safe people. The people who continue to social distance hate it too. I miss the bars, I miss the clubs, I miss not wearing a mask. But it is even more important to think about the two hundred thousand people who have died of COVID, and to put their families and other vulnerable families into consideration.

On Halloweekend, I desperately wanted to go to a huge party and celebrate but I did not. Not going to lie, I was disappointed in my classmates who did. Coming from the same school as Dr. Fauci, I think he would be disappointed in those who still chose to party on Halloween and those who continue to go to large parties. 

I am not saying this to be a know-it-all do-gooder, I am saying this because I am absolutely exhausted. I am devastated that my grandpa couldn’t have the funeral service he deserved because of COVID restrictions. I am terrified for the life of my roommate’s sister who is immunocompromised. I am tired of pandemic depression which has crushed my soul for the past eight months. I am so exhausted of people only taking COVID restrictions seriously if it affects them personally. 

What happened to the energy from the beginning of the pandemic? When everyone was touting “we’re all in this together,” baking bread, and sitting six feet apart from their friends outdoors? Why did people decide the rules did not apply anymore once they got tired of these rules? 

The winter is approaching which means the advent of flu season, indoor gatherings, and large holiday parties. I am terrified for the most vulnerable members of our community who do not have the immune system to fight off the virus and the already overworked healthcare system that is in desperate need of resources to continue treating thousands of infected people.

People are dying and people will continue to die if our peers continue partying and not wearing masks. Though now we are enjoying restaurants and stores being open, if people continue to party, then this will no longer be the case. If that is not enough incentive for you to cut it out — lockdown will be prolonged, the bars will not reopen, and colleges will not reopen unless everyone continues to social distance. 

Natalie Crowley

Holy Cross '21

Hi! I'm Natalie, a senior Political Science and German double major at College of the Holy Cross.