This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

We need to address that it is breakup season. So many of my friends, myself, and Taylor Swift, have gotten out of relationships in the past few weeks, for one reason or another. While it is hard, in a lot of the situations I’ve seen, these breakups have definitely been for the best. It is so easy to get wrapped up in a relationship and not even realize problems or things that are toxic. It is truly so important to know that if you are not being valued and being treated like a queen, LEAVE!!! It is so hard at times to separate the good from the bad, and see if one outweighs the other. If you feel like you’re in a relationship that you should get out of, take some time to yourself to think about what truly is best for you. Whether this is time not talking or seeing each other, writing about your feelings, talking to someone, or talking to them seriously about how you feel, if not done already, try different ways to sort out your thoughts and decide if this is healthy and the best thing for you, at this time or at all.

If you are going through a breakup, here are some tips to help you through it.

End all contact

While you may have the urge to text them, don’t. You will miss them at first, but don’t let that lead to you texting them. It will only confuse you and your feelings and interrupt the healing process. If they respect you, they won’t text you, because that is what is best for you.

Talk to friends and family

It is hard to lose the person you likely texted or talked to constantly. Try to reach out to friends and family more to fill that time, and to feel supported and loved. Your friends and families have all gone through breakups and hardships, so they will likely have advice that can really help you.

Journal

Journaling can help you to organize your thoughts. Make a list of all the good and bad things, so then you can acknowledge and move past the memories of the good times, but also remember and refer back to the bad things, to remind you why this is the best thing for you.

Listen to music

Music can really help you to feel supported, and can distract you. You can listen to sad or happy music. I personally never listen to sad music, so I didn’t in this situation either. But, it is up to you and however you want to feel your feelings. If you want some happy music, check out my playlist… https://open.spotify.com/playlist/41DiBkhMFfQakXFN14c8MI?si=78494ddd45fe4a70

Find other things to fill any time you would have spent with them.

Join clubs, get a job, plan more trips with friends, read and just do things that you may have never had time to do because you spent your time busy with them. Find value in other things, but understand that being alone isn’t a bad thing. Take time to heal and grow, but don’t let yourself just sit around depressed all day doing nothing.

Remember everything will be alright.

I know at the moment it may feel like the world is ending and you will be full of all kinds of emotions, just remember that it will all work out for the best. What is meant to be, will be. Do not sit around thinking about the “what if’s”. Do your best to move on, have fun, and realize that you’re iconic and you were just being held back.

Ashley Bunici

Holy Cross '26

Ashley Bunici is from Long Island, New York and is a Political Science Major and Disability Studies Minor, on the pre-law track. She loves to volunteer and be involved in clubs, spend time with friends and family, and travel.