Insta-LAME to Insta-FAME: How To Up Your Insta Game

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

Let’s face it, we live on a beautiful campus, but how many times do you find yourself taking the same picture of Fenwick? Or have you struggled to photograph the view from the top of the hill? Maybe you like taking a snapshot of the chapel during sunset? Whatever your preference, it’s hard to make your brilliant picture stand out amongst the other ones on Instagram that have been done so many times before. What is the real secret to having one of the cooler Instagrams out there? With some of these guidelines, you will be Insta-fab in no time at all.

1. WhitagramThree words. Whitagram ALWAYS whitagram. The Whitagram app allows you to use the original size of your photos.  You won’t have your hand forced in deciding which part of your photo you have to crop out in order for it to fit in the Instagram template. This includes all of the amazing panorama shots you love to take. The white background will help make your photo stand out more too! 
  2. Use AfterlightThe Afterlight app will give you the ability to use vintage filters on your photos.  Now pictures that you take with your phone can look like they come from another era.  It is simple and easy to use.  Your picture will look great in just a few clicks!
  3. Slowin’ It DownHave you ever wondered how you could take cool pictures at night that illuminate city lights or bright signs? Here is your answer. Use the Slow Shutter Cam App. This app allows you to take long exposure pictures with your cell phone. It is a little hard to get the hang of at first, but once you get your practice in, you’ll be producing amazing images that you can’t wait to post!
  4. The GoPro.This step may seem a little extreme, but the GoPro truly can do it all. This highly personal camera takes pictures with a wide-angled lens. It is lightweight and compact, which means you can take it wherever you want from surfing in the ocean to skiing on the mountains.  You won’t need to worry about ruining your phone anymore!

The point of Instagram is to be creative. Some of these tips will definitely help you. The only piece of advice I do have is: be careful. The purpose of these editing apps is to enhance your photo, not to completely change them. Don’t put too many filters on one picture; you want it to look real. Let people see your true self and all your cool experiences!!

Evan Grogan

Holy Cross

Evan Grogan is a senior at the College of the Holy Cross who is studying abroad for the year at the University of St Andrews. She is an English and Art History double major and eventually hopes to attend graduate school for journalism and write for The New York Times. When Evan is not busy with school and writing for both Holy Cross' newspaper and Her Campus, she loves to read; go for runs; and spend time with her friends. She is obsessed with the color navy, rainbow sprinkles, and anything involving glitter.