This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

Attend a conventional college campus away from the glamor of city life? This one’s for you.

My campus, swooned upon for its intimate class sizes, beautiful buildings, and well-kept landscaping, has a way of keeping its students on campus. Most weeks, I find myself never leaving, in pressure to experience the campus-life feel. Despite the comfort of your dorm, it is essential to immerse yourself in your college town’s community- you’ll regret it later if you don’t! Experiencing the town/city you call home for four years makes your experience more well-rounded and memorable, especially when approaching graduation.

Over the last four years, despite covid regulations and lockdowns, I have successfully taken advantage of what Worcester offers; an up-and-coming city with hidden gems – if you look in the right places. From walking the nature path behind the college to supporting local businesses, I have managed to appreciate Worcester for its unique architecture, college-oriented nightlife, and delicious dining.

One of my favorite activities to do off-campus is attend a baseball game. Polar Park, home to the Worcester Red Sox, is a great place to go with friends. Baseball games provide a sense of community; alongside snacks and drinks (21+ girlies), all while supporting a local team. You can always find fellow students, as Polar Park is a hot spot for Crusaders, especially on college nights when discounted tickets are available.

When I’m feeling a change from the Jo, I find myself at Orangetheory Fitness in either Worcester or Shrewsbury. Planning time out of my day for self-care is rewarding for my mental clarity, as it provides me with a well-deserved break from schoolwork. Although the school offers great workout options, something about making an outing out of my fitness is valuable. After a very motivating workout, I always treat myself to an off-campus coffee spot alongside a Trader Joe’s and/or Whole Foods run. The necessities, am I right?

In need of a coffee that isn’t Cool Beans? Don’t we all. This school year I tried a local coffee shop called ‘Acoustic Java.’ The smell of freshly brewed coffee and the comforting decor immediately drew my attention, and my iced latte was delicious. This small local shop promotes fair trade and house-made coffee, a mission statement you don’t often see when buying coffee.

From Volturno to The Mercantile, I could go on and on about dining around Shrewsbury Street. While these restaurants have never failed me, the Worcester Public Market is another local business that is quite underrated. Offering a fresh produce section alongside offerings of all different cuisines, it is truly a hidden gem despite located right in Kelly Square!

Although your college campus may have everything you need regarding food, exercise, or activities with your friends, it is also important to experience life outside of this. Take a walk through your college town, explore new restaurants, and try new local businesses; it won’t disappoint!

Gioia Guarino

Holy Cross '23

Bostonian, Creative