Life > Academics

How to Make the Rest of Your Semester Last: Managing the Month of November  

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

Let’s face it, first semester feels like it just started, yet it’s already almost over. As a college senior, I am in even more denial at the pace fall semester has gone this year. Particularly with the Holy Cross schedule, it feels as though the time between fall break and winter break is scarily short. We return from fall break, have parents weekend, halloweekend, one chill weekend, Catalina, the final tailgate, and then like that, it’s finals season. Having the entire rest of the semester planned out makes free time and leisure fizzle out. I particularly appreciate my downtime and open weekends, as I feel I have time to do things that will truly let me enjoy and take advantage of the weekend. While the semester is quickly coming to a close, here are some things I plan to do to still provide myself as much free time as possible. 

1. Prioritize “Me Time” 

Me time is hands down the most important thing you can do to manage your time correctly. While it always feels more productive to triple book yourself, sign up to be involved all the time, and attend every event or friend group gathering, burnout always creeps in. Whether “me-time” be having a night in on an otherwise busy Thursday or Friday night, or whether it is putting some work on the back burner to just watch a show or movie, it can be a real game changer. Having either an evening or a couple hours of a break can be a big contender for clearing your mind and boosting your motivation to get back on track. Especially if you choose to take a night in on the weekend, feeling refreshed and ready for productivity on an otherwise “hangover day” can make a massive difference for your upcoming week. At least for myself, I have never regretted saying no to something if I truly know I need time to myself :) 

1. Integrate a Strong Work-Life Balance 

The time before finals are always the busiest, as clubs are planning their final events of the semester, teachers are assigning that one last big test or project, and everyone wants to take advantage of their fun weekends. While all these things are great, they can be overwhelming when one over-takes the other. I advise trying your best to maintain social life, school life, and other commitments at a pretty even balance, before things become all about school in finals week. I find this to be the best way to keep the grind going right up until exam time, and it makes me feel the best about checking everything off of my to-do list. 

1. Keep That Calendar or Planner Updated 

I don’t know about anyone else, but towards the mid-end of the semester, I find myself thinking it’s ok to slack off in terms of organization. Things start to get busy, and I pretend that I will have all of my assignments and commitments on tap in my brain. The reality, however, is that doing this always leads to me cramming for a deadline or forgetting about a certain commitment. It is a little taxing, but simply writing something down, whether it be on a sticky note on your computer, in your calendar app, or even just on a sheet of paper can be a big game changer. I’m sure everyone is aware that writing something down increases your chances of remembering it, and in times of increased busyness, this could really save you from feeling overwhelmed or out of the loop with things on your radar for the week/month 

1. Keep Lines of Communication Open

I can assure you that November is busy for everyone around you, or at least on the Holy Cross campus. It can be a stressful and busy time, but you don’t have to feel like you are alone in that. I have found that whether it is a quick vent to my friends or having a discussion about newfound stress, I always feel better when I get it out. These discussions have led to plans to hit the library, new tips for organization, someone to relate to, etc. Whether the impact is big or small, it can never hurt to talk things out, especially if your brain feels a little jumbled, as mine does this November! Additionally, having these conversations allows your friends or family to know where you’re at, so that they can be there for you if things get tough, or can check in on you to cheer you up and keep you motivated. 

Charlotte Keane

Holy Cross '24

Charlotte currently a senior Holy Cross who is a co-correspondent of HerCampus for 2023. She is from Connecticut and can't wait to make her mark and contribution to HerCampus HQ her senior year!