Wellness > Mental Health

how to keep up with schoolwork and your mental health

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

As the beginning of finals season (or midterm season, for high schoolers) progresses upon us, it’s extremely easy to get caught up focusing only on schoolwork. Additionally, I view social media as a “break” after getting a lot of my work done, which leads to me spending hours between my computer and my phone, which results in a pounding headache. A goal for the upcoming finals season is to avoid this situation and promote better habits.

The first thing I advise to implement into everyday life is doing schoolwork outside more when possible. If you catch yourself going to your dorm, stop and think about whether it is nice enough to be productive in fresh air. This goes for talking on the phone, reading, or anything that can be done outdoors. To go along with this, always remember that exercise raises productivity. Whether it’s a quick walk around campus, or a heavy workout sesh at the Jo, anything to take your mind off your work and get moving is a positive.

Another way to either take your mind off schoolwork, which can also be used to rant about it if needed, is journaling. Getting thoughts out of your head and onto a page is always helpful, and will give you a break from staring at a screen for a little. If you’re looking specifically to distract yourself and you aren’t the journaling type, reading is another great option. Similar to getting off screens but not being physically active, meditation has so many great benefits including reducing stress and promoting emotional health. Any length of a meditation is effective, as long as you do it frequently and focus your full attention on it. As always, another key is self care. So paint your nails, or do a face mask! Good luck in the last few weeks of the semester everyone!

Bridget O'Toole

Holy Cross '26

Hi! I am a sophomore at Holy Cross and am majoring in English and minoring in Architectural Studies. I'm from Long Island, New York, and my favorite things include skiing, reading, yoga, and the beach!