little women?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
little women?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Columbia Pictures / Sony

How to Have the Perfect Little Women Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

As the perfect fall weather begins to peak its head out here in Massachusetts, the desire to go apple picking and leaf watching rises in us all. One of the coziest fall activities you can do is watch your favorite autumn-inspired movie. My favorite fall movie happens to be the 2019 adaptation of Little Women, directed by Greta Gerwig. This movie is an all-time classic and was filmed right here in Massachusetts. Last year my friends and I decided to visit all of the famous sites where the movie was filmed. Here is your thorough guide to the perfect Little Women fall:

First up is the real Louisa May Alcott house. It is located at 399 Lexington Road in Concord, Massachusetts. In the movie this is where the March family lived but in real life Louisa May Alcott, the original author of Little Women, lived there. While the actual house was not filmed due to spacing constraints, an exact replica was built nearby in Concord. The Louisa May Alcott house is currently open as a museum from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Saturday and 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Sunday.

Next is the infamous Gibbet Hill where Laurie’s proposal to Jo was filmed on. This hill is located in Groton, Massachusetts–just 44 minutes north of Concord. If you visit at just the right time–mid-October–you will find stunning views and breathtaking leaf changes. Here is a picture I took from when I visited on October 15th, 2022: https://pin.it/4798oOD. There is also a great restaurant named Gibbet Hill Grill located nearby!

Another popular destination for Little Women fans is Castle Hill on the Crane Estate. The scenes that were depicted as Paris in the film were shot at this location. In addition, the beach day in the film was shot at this location. With a day pass you can tour the house and gardens, and even see the stunning seaside horizon.

A nearby location for Boston residents is the Arnold Arboretum at Harvard University. In the film, this is where Amy sees Laurie passing by after years of not seeing each other. This area is free to the public and can be walked at your leisure. 

Possibly my favorite scene in the whole film–Laurie and Jo dancing on the porch–can be viewed at the Lyman estate located at 185 Lyman Street in Waltham Massachusetts. There is a rich history embedded into this estate, which can be toured at various times throughout the month.

The film was also shot at the Nathaniel Thayer Estate, which was used to shoot the Laurence family scenes. The estate is open to tours on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday from 10 am to 4 pm.

Hopefully this guide inspires you to take a historical trip through the world of Little Women!

Emma Weiss

Holy Cross '26

Emma Weiss is a current Sophomore at Holy Cross, but she is originally from Michigan. She is a Political Science major with minors in Environmental Studies and Creative Writing. In her free time, she loves to explore Pinterest, make playlists, and drink coffee!