How is a 13-year-old pug dictating my life?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

For the past few weeks, I am sure your TikTok has been dominated by the adorable 13-year-old pug, Noodle, and his owner Jonathan Graziano chatting about whether it’s going to be a “bones” or “no bones” day. Or if you were like me, and you didn’t catch onto this phenomenon until a week ago, you may be a little confused. Let me clear some things up.

Johnathan Graziano and his pug Noodle are taking TikTok by storm. Many TikTok users, including myself, are waking up each morning and checking to see what kind of day Noodle predicts we are going to have. Being 13-years-old, Noodle loves sleeping in his cozy dog bed, and refuses to get moving unless he really wants to. In fact, Noodle’s mindset is where this phenomenon started.

Graziano started to document Noodle’s endeavors. Specifically, he records Noodle live from his dog bed each morning, and attempts to lift Noodle up onto his frail little legs. If Noodle continues to stand up, it is a “bones day.” If he doesn’t, and flops back onto his bed, it’s a “no bones day.” But what does this mean?

Graziano cleared the confusion, saying that if it’s a “bones day,” followers are encouraged to get moving, treat themselves, and tackle life’s challenges to the best of your ability. Basically, a “bones day” is the equivalent to a good luck charm to carry with you throughout your day. A “no bones” day is meant to be similar, but with a twist. On these days, followers are told to practice self-care, and be patient with themselves. On these days, I know it’s a day to wear my matching sweat-set, get a jumbo iced coffee, and listen to my favorite soothing podcast, because Noodle said so.

I know that it sounds insane to say that a random pug on TikTok has such a hold over my life (and 3.9 million others!) on a day-to-day basis, but honestly, I’m not mad about it. I think that Noodle’s overwhelming popularity is a ray of light in a time of darkness. Between the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, the polarity of our political and social climates, and my own personal stresses and experiences as a college student, it gives me a little excitement to wake up each morning and see what kind of day I should have.

Here’s NOODLE’S TikTok fOR today. HAPPY “no bones day!”

With the weather outside, I definitely needed one.

@jongraz

you know what to do 🔮🦴🔮 #nobones #bonesday #pug #noodletok #fortune

♬ original sound – Jonathan
Cassie Smith is a current Psychology major with a minor in Rhetoric & Composition at Holy Cross. When she'd not spending her time working for HerCampus, she's catching up with friends, graphic designing on her iPad, or perfectly organizing her Pinterest boards and Spotify playlists.