Holy Cross Women In Business Conference Recap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

At the beginning of November, I attended the annual Holy Cross Women in Business Conference in the Hogan Ballroom. Not only did this event feature captivating speakers, it also gave students the chance to connect with female alumni who have achieved success in various fields. This opportunity to chat with alumni reminded me of one of the most valuable aspects of Holy Cross that we often forget to take advantage of: the alumni. On that Saturday morning, hundreds of women ranging from the Class of 1976 to the Class of 2014 took time out of their busy schedules to offer us their advice for both our life on the Hill and the future that lies ahead. Listening to these women speak of their transitions from Holy Cross to their careers was truly inspiring, as there are days when it can be difficult to see the bigger picture as we slave away in Dinand until 2 A.M. The conference aimed to help us identify how we can foster our individual interests and strengths as women striving for a career in business. 

The keynote speaker, Anne Fink ’85, shared her insight with us through her experience as a Holy Cross alumna, the Chief Operating Officer for PepsiCo, and a mother. She gave us three key pieces of advice for finding success, and these points really resonated with both the students and alumni in the room. First, she advised us to never stop seeking knowledge. Success lies in our ability to maintain a constant curiosity and desire for knowledge. Next, she stressed the importance of being an agent for change. In this technologically advanced world, she explained just how crucial it is to analyze the external environment in order to improve and stay relevant. Her third piece of advice was to continually be a positive and encouraging leader. Ms. Fink commented on her personal desire to have a positive impact on each and every person around her through supportive words and a motivated attitude.

Anne Fink’s concluding comments focused around the question, “Can women truly have it all?” I think this is a very pertinent question for young women today as we set goals and aspire towards a successful future. Ms. Fink suggested that we remain focused on our goals and continually aim to acquire more knowledge. Her eloquent speech was followed by a series of insightful questions and remarks. Later, her keynote address was followed by group workshops and a networking session. The workshops gave students and young alumni the chance to ask specific questions in small groups that focused on particular areas of interest. The networking session gave us the chance to connect with alumni, who are a great resource for advice. If you missed out on the Women in Business Conference, I strongly recommend marking it on your calendar for next year. Events such as this one remind us of just how important it is to take advantage of the opportunities we have on the Hill.

Evan Grogan

Holy Cross

Evan Grogan is a senior at the College of the Holy Cross who is studying abroad for the year at the University of St Andrews. She is an English and Art History double major and eventually hopes to attend graduate school for journalism and write for The New York Times. When Evan is not busy with school and writing for both Holy Cross' newspaper and Her Campus, she loves to read; go for runs; and spend time with her friends. She is obsessed with the color navy, rainbow sprinkles, and anything involving glitter.