Her Campus Celebrities- Record Breaking Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

Holy Cross is known for its high level of academics, educated, attentive staff and a creative, accomplished student body.  However, another impressive side to our school is the competitive athletes that pull on their purple jerseys to represent Holy Cross. Athletic achievements tend to fly under the radar, so I decided to track down the students who are either still attending or recently graduated Holy Cross that have broken or even shattered records here and ask them about their success.    

Carly McCabe: Women’s Soccer, 5’11’’, Goalie, Senior from Barrington, RI (GP- 45, GS-45, Saves- 262 with .832%, 10 shutouts with a record of 9-28-7)

Matt Ginn: Men’s Hockey, 6’0’’, Goalie, Senior from Lindsay, Ontario (GP-98, Saves- 2,699 with .913%, with a record of 47-42-8)

Alex Smith: Women’s Basketball, 5’8’’, Guard, Class of 2014 from Delran, NJ (Led the Patriot League in scoring w/ 463 pts. Named First-Team all Patriot league, Patriot League All-Academic team, Patriot-League Tournament team)

Justin Burrell: Men’s Basketball, 5’9’’, Guard, Senior from Dumfries, VA (GP-90, rebounds-173, 3-PT%- .353, 172/ 206 on free throws, shooting%-.375)

1. What record do you currently hold?

Carly: Career goals against with an average of 1.05

Matt: All time saves, most shutouts, and most games played

Alex: I currently hold the most 3 pointers made in a career amongst the whole patriot league. 

JB: Games played and games started GP- 90, GS- 90, 1000-points

2. What is your pre-game meal?

Carly: Chicken Caesar salad wrap and Rice Chex

Matt: Pasta and Chicken

Alex: My pre-game meal was chicken, wheat pasta, and a vegetable 

JB: Grilled chicken salad

3. What would you say is one word to describe team success?

Carly: Enthusiasm- the more enthusiastic the team is about showing up everyday and getting better, the more successful the team will be

Matt: Execution

Alex: Accountability 

JB: Sacrifice

4. Why do you play the sport you play?

Carly: I love soccer because in any given game any team can win. There is so much technical skill and tactical strategizing that you always have something to improve on and that was fun for me. I also got to play the most fun position and dive around denying balls!

Matt: I  love the game of hockey. 

Alex: I play basketball, because I’ve loved the game ever since my parents put a ball in my hands in kindergarten.  

JB: Almost my entire family played!

5. Why did you choose Holy Cross to pursue your athletic dreams?

Carly: I wanted to be apart of rebuilding our program, and I wanted to come in as a freshman and be able to make an impact. I loved the school, the campus, the team, and getting to compete in the Patriot league was very exciting and challenging!  It definitely helped that my parents were close enough to make it to every game!

Matt: The opportunity to play right away and great connections with players and coaches.

Alex: Holy Cross was the complete package. It offers a competitive basketball program, great teammates, and a family atmosphere. At the same time, a Holy Cross education is very well regarded.  

JB: It was close to home, and I was able to get an education while playing a Division one sport.

Tess MacKay

Holy Cross