This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

Sunday, October 4th is NATIONAL TACO DAY!!

Why wait until Taco Tuesday? Here is your guide to the best deals for National Taco Day, the best taco joints in Worcester, and a recipe for DELICIOUS pulled pork tacos if you’re feeling ambitious!

Taco Bell- 418 Park Ave, Worcester MA – only 2 miles from campus!

Using their Taco Gifter on Sunday you can send ANYONE an ‘e-gifted’ taco that they can redeem at a Taco Bell location. I think I’ll be sending myself a taco…

Moe’s Southwest Grill- 3 Stafford Street, Worcester – also only 2 miles from campus!

$5 off a build your own taco kit! Their kits serve 4-6 people and come with 12 soft tortillas, your choice of 2 meats, lettuce, cheese, pico de gallo, rice, beans, sour cream AND chips and queso! Perfect for a FIESTA!

Looking for some quality tacos? Here are the best in Worcester!

Tacos Mexico- 7 Neponset St, Worcester, MA- 5 miles from campus!

This is the “hidden food court gem” of tacos. It’s owned by a brother and sister, is affordable, uses fresh ingredients and serves large portions! Order two tacos and a soda and you’ll spend less than $7- now THAT fits a college student’s budget!

El Patron- 192 Harding St, Worcester- another one 2 miles away!

Owned by a mother and a daughter, El Patron takes pride in their menu, customers and service! They offer new specials every week and the customer favorites find a spot on the menu!

Go-To Slow Cooker Green Chile Pulled Pork Tacos:

There are two versions of this recipe – an easier version with only 4 ingredients and a more in depth version with 10 ingredients. Serve both versions with tortillas, cheese, salsa, sour cream, guacamole and any other toppings of choice!!

Easier Version:

1 three-four lb pork loin

1 large yellow onion, sliced

1 16 ounce jar Green Salsa Verde

1 10 ounce can chicken broth

Salt & pepper to taste

Chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper (optional)

Olive Oil for pan

Salt and pepper the pork loin on all sides

Add enough oil to coat the bottom of a large pan

Once oil is hot (a drop of water will sizzle), add the pork

Sear sides of pork until nicely browned

Turn off heat and move pork to the bowl of a crock pot and add onions  If using chili powder, cayenne (for extra heat) or cumin (for smokiness), sprinkle on pork now

Pour jar of salsa verde and can of chicken stock over pork and gently mix

Turn the crock pot to low and cook for 8 hours for 5 hours on high  Once cooked, remove pork from the crock pot and shred with two forks.  Remove onions from cooking liquid with a slotted spoon and mix with pork

Pour some cooking liquid over the shredded pork, and save some for serving.

“All-In” Version:

1 3-4 lb. Pork Loin 

1 Tablespoon oil

1 Onion diced

2 Jalapenos diced

2 4-ounce cans Diced Green Chilies

2 teaspoons Garlic Salt

1 teaspoon Pepper

1 Tablespoon Cumin Powder

3/4 cup Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice

1 Lime juiced

Heat large skillet to high heat

Add oil and heat for 1-2 minutes

Add pork loin roast and cook for 5 minutes per side, until golden brown

Once seared, place the pork roast into a slow cooker or instapot.

Top with onion, jalapenos, green chilies, garlic salt, pepper, and cumin powder

Pour in orange juice and lime juice

Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for approximately 5 hours

Once pork is perfectly cooked, use two forks to shred into bite size pieces. Taste and salt and pepper to taste.

Fiona Willette

Holy Cross '24

Hi I’m Fiona Willette and I am a freshman at Holy Cross! I am from Stamford, Connecticut. In my free time I like to run, lift weights, water and snow ski and swim!