This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

If you know me, then you know that I am an avid nighttime tea drinker, and more importantly, my favorite type is green tea. Which kind? It has to be the decaffeinated green tea from Trader Joe’s. Tea has become one of my simple daily pleasures; I find drinking a cup of green tea before bed is the perfect way to unwind. Until recently, I learned I was gaining much more than just a relaxing end to my day; there are actually other hidden benefits to drinking a cup of green tea. 

While green tea was coincidentally my unwind, I was excited to learn that there was actually a scientific link to this relaxation. Since green tea contains L-theanine, your brain is signaled into a state of relaxation upon consumption. In fact, this phenomenon happens nearly exclusively with tea plants. As college students under severe stress, I can’t believe this wasn’t a more well known hack.

Green tea also has catechins, which are antioxidants that can help prevent cell damage and provide additional health benefits. While at age 20 I am a little less worried about certain health benefits it provides, it is cool to know that doing something as simple as drinking green tea can help with cognitive function and disease prevention in the long term. Green tea’s antioxidants can also boost your immune system, which can be a major plus as we start entering college flu season (Crusader Cough season at Holy Cross). 

I think in learning this, I hope more people can slowly get wind of how integrating green tea into your routine will certainly do you more good than harm. If you enjoy the taste of green tea, you should definitely consider adding at least a cup of it into your daily routine. 

Who knows, you could become a green tea lover just like me! It certainly cannot hurt to try!

Ann O'Malley

Holy Cross '26

Ann is a current sophomore at Holy Cross from Milton, Massachusetts. She enjoys spending time with friends, listening to music, and writing!