Going Stir-Crazy? Here Are Some Realistic ‘Travel’ Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

This pandemic has really put a damper on any kind of travel. “Red States” that we can’t travel to, dealing with airplanes and airports and the mandatory quarantine when you come from certain states. For me, spontaneous trips are my weakness, and being stuck at home is making me realize how much I miss traveling!! In need of a change of scenery for a day or a weekend? Here are some ideas to do just that without the hassle of the strict COVID traveling rules!

Boston

Boston is such a fun city! With so much to see when walking around and exploring, and tons of delicious restaurants there is no shortage of things to do. Go in for the day and grab a bite to eat at Quincy Market or at an Italian Restaurant in the North End, shop at Faneuil Hall, check out the parks or just go for a walk along the water and take in the gorgeous skyline. Feeling ambitious — find an AirBnb for a night! AirBnb has made their cleaning guidelines and rules stricter with COVID to ensure the health and safety of guests!

Martha’s Vineyard

Although the only way to get to the Vineyard is by ferry from Woods Hole on Cape Cod — it is totally worth it! It is only $8.50 one way and is a beautiful 75 minute ride through the Vineyard Sound. With beaches, beach towns, lighthouses, cliffs, the iconic Flying Horses Carousel, and of course, delicious ice cream shops, the vibes are immaculate!!

Rhode Island

There are so many cute little cities in Rhode Island! Even though the weather is getting a little colder, check out Narragansett and Newport on the coast of Rhode Island. They are only about 20 minutes away from each other! Walk around downtown, go for a stroll along the beaches or the cliffs, check out some hiking trails, or visit the small stores, restaurants and ice cream shops. 

Burlington, Vermont

Burlington is an adorable town right in Lake Champlain. There are downtown shops and restaurants and tons of hiking trails in the area. Pack a picnic and head to a park to see all of the gorgeous fall foliage or rent a bike and bike the Burlington Bike Path along the lake!

New York City

New York is weirdly quiet in the midst of the pandemic. With strict guidelines for restaurants and stores, they have been behind the rest of the Northeast in reopening. Take advantage of the fact that there are no tourists in the city and check out all of the attractions you’ve always wanted to see! Go to Times Square- it’s so empty you can actually walk around! Walk the highline in Manhattan and hop off in Hudson Yards and check out the Vessel — a structure of 154 connected flights of stairs in the cutest location. The views from the top of the Vessel of the river and the city are amazing. 

Bar Harbor, Maine

Along Maine’s Frenchman Bay is this amazing coastal town that has some of the best views of the mountains of Cliffs of the Acadia National Park, which is also nearby! At low tide, walk the natural gravel land bridge to Bar Island — an uninhabited island that is part of Acadia National Park. The views of Mount Desert Island and Bar Harbor from this island are breathtaking. 

Fiona Willette

Holy Cross '24

Hi I’m Fiona Willette and I am a freshman at Holy Cross! I am from Stamford, Connecticut. In my free time I like to run, lift weights, water and snow ski and swim!