Festive Fun in Worcester and Beyond This Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

With Thanksgiving right around the corner, many of my friends and I are focused less on the turkey, football, and heated political debates coming our way, and more on the snowier holidays. Many of my hallmates have decked out their doorways with tinsel and set up mini Christmas trees, from traditional green to even a pink, Barbie-esque tree. Whatever holiday you choose to celebrate, or if you’d just like to get into the winter spirit, there are plenty of happenings in Worcester and the surrounding area to explore. Check out a few below for some frosty, festive fun! 

1. The Snowport

A list of holiday events in Massachusetts would only be complete with the iconic Snowport Market in Boston. Every holiday season, the Seaport District is transformed into a Winter Wonderland, complete with curling, a holiday market, and more. This year, the Snowport will hold its annual Tree Lighting on Friday, December 1st, and its annual Menorah Lighting on Sunday, December 10th. Gather up your friends and your gloves for an easy weekend outing to Boston! 

2. Festival of Lights-Worcester Common Oval 

For something a little closer to home, try the Festival of Lights! The Festival will take place on Friday, December 1st, from 4:30-9:00 p.m., at the popular Worcester Common Oval. Free and open to the public, the event will feature a tree lighting at 6:00 p.m., lights displays, ice skating, food vendors, and a headline performance by Michelle Brooks Thompson, a finalist on The Voice. Take the chance to explore Worcester,  possibly wipe out on the ice, sip hot cocoa, and appreciate the beauty of the Festival of Lights!

3. Canal District Holiday Stroll

Seize another opportunity to get off campus and dive into what Worcester has to offer with the Canal District Holiday Stroll! This self-guided stroll takes you through the up-and-coming Canal District and its various businesses, decked out in their festive flair. The stroll culminates in a tree lighting at 6:00 p.m. in historic Kelley Square. Enjoy some seasonal shopping and dip your toe into some Worcester history at the Stroll all day long on Saturday, December 2nd!

4. Holy Cross Holiday Craft Fair & Market

Rounding out our compilation is our own Annual Holiday Craft Fair & Market! Located conveniently in the Hogan Ballroom, the event will feature tables of various crafts and products created by members of the campus community and the greater Worcester community. Come to the Ballroom on Friday, December 1st from 11:00-4:00 to see schoolwide and local talents and secure the perfect holiday gift for your loved ones!

Emily Kelley

Holy Cross '27

Hi everyone! I'm Emily and I'm a freshman at Holy Cross. I'm from Canton, MA and I'm majoring in psychology to hopefully become a sports psychologist or a teacher! I love to read, write, cook, and run in my free time. I'm so excited to be a part of HerCampus start writing! :)