This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

The start of my sophomore year here on the Hill could not be any more overwhelming. I thought it’d be easy coming back with the knowledge of everything I learned after last year. I know the ins and outs, I’m familiar with my professors, and I know a lot of people. It should be fine right? 

I mean it has been, it’s just not the ideal sophomore year that I expected. Not for any particular reason, but a great multitude of things just piling together and dragging me down. Applications are due, classes are hard, people are different, I need a resume, I have to think about internships, and please, do not get me started on the stress of thinking about study abroad. 

I feel like I have so much to do and not enough time in the day. I’m expected to go to all of these things and talk to all of these people. When am I supposed to do my readings for class? 

I texted my friends from home looking for comfort and support, many of whom moved in later than me, and I was surprised to see texts saying the same thing. Many of my friends here say the same thing as well. I guess it’s pretty universal.

I’m not overly stressed or panicked or anything, but if you are that’s absolutely valid! I just have this sense that I should be doing something at all times because I have so much to do. I’ve slowly been removing things from my to-do list, I’m turning in assignments, going to meetings with advisors, for clubs, and study abroad, and I’m even making time for the gym. My sleep schedule isn’t messed up (yet) and I’ve been eating fine. It’s just hard re-adapting to a life where I constantly have several dates and times bouncing around in my brain.

Maybe you’re feeling this too, maybe you’re not. If you are, just know that you are not alone. We will get through this! My calendar says I’m free eventually—on my birthday actually! I’ll take that as a sign that everything will work out. Take this as your sign: you’re doing great; keep going. 

Rhiannon Dyment

Holy Cross '26

Rhiannon Dyment is a junior at Holy Cross. She is double majoring in English and Political Science with a concentration in Peace and Conflict Studies. Rhiannon wants to continue on to law school after graduation. Outside of HerCampus she is involved with the Holy Cross Admissions Office, the Holy Cross Pre-Law Society, Purple Key Society, Feminist Forum, Pink Gloves Boxing, and Sigma Tau Delta English Honors Society. Rhiannon loves dogs, warm weather, açaí bowls, and playing golf and pickleball.