Declare War on Hair Static and Dry Skin this Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.
  1. Use a face lotion with SPF:Even though you might not get burned in the winter, the sun’s powerful rays can still majorly dry out your skin. After washing your face in the morning, apply a lotion with sunscreen to avoid getting dried out by the sun.
  2. Ditch the soap:Instead of drying out your body with soap, choose a moisturizing body wash. This will keep you clean without depleting your skin of its natural oils.
  3. Don’t forget the cream:It’s best to moisturize right after you shower (see my other article about the harmful effects of long hot showers!) before your skin loses the humidity from the shower. Also, look for a body “cream” instead of “lotion”; these tend to be thicker and do a better job locking in moisture.
  4. Drink more water than you think you need:One reason for dry skin may be that your body isn’t getting enough water to keep up with your active and busy lifestyle. Drink 8 glasses as a minimum every day, and be extra sure to stay hydrated if you’re out drinking…your skin will thank you!
  5. Indulge your hair with Moroccan or Jojoba oil:After shampooing your hair, a lot of the natural oils that your hair creates are depleted. So, after washing put a few drops of these oils onto your hands and run them through your hair for a silky, static-free hair day.
  6. Get a humidifier:A major cause of hair static and dry skin is the dry air that naturally occurs in winter coupled with even drier air from the heating vents inside. It’s really helpful to have a humidifier in your room, so that your skin can be surrounded with moisture. Turn it on while you’re sleeping and wake up with smoother skin!
  7. Check out your brush:Are you using a plastic hairbrush? If so, this is a major cause of hair static, which I’m sure you’ve noticed when you brush your hair and static cling appears. Next time you’re at the store, look for a brush with rubber or metal bristles that won’t cause as much static.
  8. Dryer sheets:This may sound weird, but trust me on this one: rubbing dryer sheets either directly onto your hair or on your brush before running it through your hair can help fight static frizz! It works for your clothes, so why not try it on your hair? Plus, you’ll smell nice and fresh.