CREATIVE & FUN FALL/WINTER BIRTHDAY ACTIVITIES FOR YOU TO TRY

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

I have always wanted to plan the best and most creative birthday parties. Yet, having a winter birthday and living in New England seemed to always narrow my options down to a few. Since Saggitarius season is just around the corner, I have been brainstorming ideas to celebrate in ways that are both covid-friendly and easy to accomplish in the colder months. (These can totally be done when it’s not your birthday too.)

1. BRUNCH

So.. this one is a little basic. BUT. Who doesn’t love a fun brunch. You can do this at home or out at a cute restaurant. Maddi’s in Worcester has a to-die-for weekend brunch, and Tavern In the Square in Shrewsbury is also a great spot. Or, decorate your room in fun birthday decor and head to Glazy Susans at the DCU Center to get a dozen fun donuts to share with friends!

2. ICE SKATING/ROLLER-BLADING

Winter doesn’t really allow for many outdoor activities, but one super fun outdoor activity for the winter is ice skating! Take the train to Back Bay and visit the Boston Common Frog Pond with some friends! You can grab a hot chocolate at a nearby coffee shop to warm up afterwards. OR… be even more creative and go to an indoor Roller Rink. Dress up in fun 70s disco inspired-outfits and rollerblade with your friends!

3. THEMED DINNER PARTY

There is nothing better than cooking and eating in the comfort of your own home with your friends. Pick a fun theme: Roaring 20’s, 80’s prom, Murder Mystery, Euphoria (HBO show), Taylor Swift, etc.). Make your friends dress up to match the theme (or all go to a local thrift store to find pieces to wear that fit the theme). Then, cook a fun meal together and make fun festive decorations and drinks! 

4. PAINT N’ SIP (21+)

I love this one. Especially because it can be done so easily at home. Order some paint-by-numbers canvases online at https://paintwithnumber.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAhMOMBhDhARIsAPVml-EHFX7ft24gJsZGYd8v0DMMY1Xf1Bl0fW-XJm5yp9PXWJqoAyE1O3caAjlXEALw_wcB a few weeks in advance. Grab a few bottles of wine and invite your friends to Paint, Sip, and maybe blast Red (Taylor’s Version) in the background.

5. GO SEE CHRISTMAS LIGHTS

If your birthday lines up with Holiday festivities, head to some awesome holiday light displays! Here’s a list of the best displays in MA this year. https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/massachusetts/christmas-lights-2016-ma/

6. SPA NIGHT

Tired of getting ready and going out? Stay in! Go to CVS, get some facemasks, lotions, etc. Invite some friends to come over in sweats and have the Self-Care night of your dreams. Sometimes it’s exactly what you need. Turn on a fun rom-com, chit-chat with friends, and sit back and RELAX for once in your busy life.

Madigan Kelly

Holy Cross '23

I am a psychology major and creative writing minor from Milton, MA. I love all things fashion, beauty, and media!