This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

It feels as though COVID is a thing of the past. At Holy Cross right now, life finally feels normal again. It’s weird to think that the seniors are the only students left at HC that were on campus when the outbreak first began. Although COVID might seem like a distant memory these days, the pandemic undoubtedly permanently altered our college experience, and day-to-day life in general. In a world of hybridization, canceled meetings, and caution, how do we learn and grow from our experiences in 2020 and beyond?

At this point, though, some people don’t even want to talk about the pandemic. It feels too close, an ever-looming presence. The possibility of shutdown, it seems, is looming forever. But talking to friends of mine who were in college when COVID first began, they feel as though that dismal stage is over. Learning through experience that anything can be taken away at the drop of a hat, we are even more inclined to seize the moment, per se, than ever before.

It does feel strange, though, that in the bubble of college, some feel as though the pandemic never happened. The economic and social repercussions of COVID are definitely still present, but day-to-day life has resumed a semblance of normalcy. No longer are we bombarded with statistics and maps of the outbreak. Instead, the personal responsibility is on us.

One of my professors, who has a young daughter at home, just recently lifted her mask mandate in our class. As her daughter is not yet eligible for a vaccination, she urges students with even the smallest colds to refrain from attending class. At a school like Holy Cross, where the classroom environment is so small and valued, a professor urging students to please stay home if they feel sick is definitely new. Most of the time, students want to push through in the interst of not missing information or discussion.

But with this “new normal,” as it has been called, we must think about how our choices impact others. As flu season approaches and the winter looms over us, I can’t help but think about spikes and shutdowns again. However, I do believe that by acting wisely, we can provide a fun and safe environment for everyone. It has become up to personal choice, at this point. Those who are healthy and vaccinated are able to run free in the world again. Unfortunately, however, those who are not yet vaccinated or susceptible to illness might still feel as though they are on the outskirts, missing out on a comeback.

It is definitely a unique time in history. Although personally life feels like it has finally returned to normal, I know that, universally, that is not the case. Taking time to reflect on my own experience, which seems so far away now, is crucial to empathizing with and understanding others. We all want to make the best of this new normal, and with compassion and courage, I believe that we can do just that.

Caroline Sullivan

Holy Cross '23

A Lover of books, coffee, and style from Long Island, New York!