This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

Birkenstocks have quickly become the new flip flop. People are wearing them in a variety of ways: with dresses out to dinner, to the beach, or even as slippers to accompany a casual athleisure look. The question now becomes how can we keep this shoe as a staple in the mix this fall. The biggest answer to this question seems to be socks. To start, I would say grab your favorite pair of jeans, leggings or yoga pants, or even wide leg sweatpants. Then add a basic white tea with a flannel, zip-up sweatshirt, or other form of jacket. Finally, the socks come in. Grab your warmest and fuzziest socks and scrunch them down a bit and you’re good to go. This is a pretty fool-proof approach for this fall. 

But what if your birkenstocks are run-down and beat-up from the summer? Maybe you’re ready to seek out what else Birkenstock has been producing. Maybe socks and sandals stresses you out. Let me put you on: The “Birkenstock Boston Soft Footbed Clogs”. These shoes are everywhere right now. This new style has been popping up everywhere, or rather is just making a really strong comeback recently. Recently, we’ve been seeing popular youtuber Emma Chamberlain wear them in a lot of her videos. It seems like she is grabbing them in a pinch, and utilizing them as a staple for outfits. The perk about the “Boston Clog” is that they are close-toed. So maybe this new Birkenstock has been your answer all along. With the “Boston Clog” you’ll find the same comfort and aesthetic but with a bit more practicality for the colder months. 

Whether you stick with your trusty pair of Birks or opt for the new “Boston Clog,” it seems like the answer is YES! Wear your Birkenstocks this fall and even this winter! But remember, keep it simple. Start with basics and accessorize, don’t try and pull off too flashy of a look with your Birkenstocks. Let them be the star of the show. They’re called Jesus sandals after all.

Claire Reiser

Holy Cross '24

Hi, my name is Claire Reiser and I’m a sophomore from Malvern, Pennsylvania. I love all things beauty, wellness, fashion, and lifestyle!