This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

Recently, South Korean Entertainment Company BigHit released a statement confirming that idol boy group BTS will be enlisting in the South Korean Military, and will be on hiatus as a group until 2025. This news has shocked not only ARMY, BTS’ fanbase, but people around the world. BTS is South Korea’s most popular group and has not only brought the country extremely high amounts of revenue, but also good publicity. BTS’ accomplishments outside of South Korea in the Western world are unheard of,  such as winning Grammy’s, attending the VMAs, and more. While Kpop is still a relatively unpopular form of entertainment in the Western world, BTS has helped pave the way for the genre to become more popular and accepted, as well as giving other groups the opportunity to get a widespread international fanbase.

Many people are confused on why BTS has to enlist at all, so it’s important to look at the situation regarding military enlistment in South Korea as a whole. South Korea has a mandatory two year enlistment period required for all able bodied men in the country before the age of 30. When BTS became a global phenomenon, South Korea was faced with a dilemma: are BTS, and subsequently stars that may reach a similar level of fame, exempt from the military enlistment? While BTS only kept growing in popularity, the South Korean government had to make a decision on whether or not they had to enlist. In 2020, the South Korean government made an amendment to the enlistment that allowed citizens “who are enhancing the country’s “prestige” through “sports”, “’public culture”,  and ”arts” to postpone their military service for two extra years, from 28 to 30.” The members of BTS’ ages range from their mid to late 20s, and oldest member Jin, is reaching the limit to have to enlist.

On October 17, 2022 BigHit made an official announcement that BTS had made the decision to go forward with their enlistment. Many Western media tabloids have taken this information and disfigured the truth by saying that the South Korean government was forcing BTS to enlist, and that it was against their will. However, on the contrary BTS is willing to fulfill this service, and has made the impression that they want to go forward with enlistment.

Now, the final angle to look at this situation from is the angle of BTS’ fans, ARMY. As a fan of BTS myself, of course myself along with the rest of the fandom is upset with the news, especially that of a 3 year hiatus. However, one thing about ARMY is that they will always support BTS, and while many ARMY may be upset by the news, ultimately they respect that it is BTS’ decision and something they want to do. Furthermore, it’s not as if BTS is gone, all of the music and content will still be there, there will just be no new content. As of right now, the members are currently working on solo projects and music that fans eagerly await. While BTS may be taking a long hiatus and enlisting, fans will always support and back BTS no matter what they do and BTS will always love and support their own fans, even in the military!

BTS’ Jin is having a comeback in late October called The Astronaut! Everyone should go listen and support him as well as the rest of the members solo projects before enlistment!

Paige Thomson

Holy Cross '26

Hi! I'm Paige and I'm a current student at the College of the Holy Cross. I plan on majoring in Political Science with a potential minor in Chinese/Chinese Studies. I used to write for a literary magazine at my High School and it was something that I loved! I hope to write about current trends in pop culture, as well as looking into specific women in male dominated fields and how they thrive!