Bright Thoughts Only

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

While the below freezing temps (#UberOffCampus #FaceMaskChic) have likely kept your Spring shopping spree at bay, it’s never too early to begin invisioning pieces to integrate into your wardrobe as temps, eventually, start to rise & dark evenings give way to a bit more sunshine each day!  Look further than your go-to floral frocks and knit crops this upcoming season and, instead, reach for quirky, timeless pieces that will express your individuality year after year.  Step outside your solid comfort zone and step into some DIY Below are 5 not-so-signature pieces inspired by day-to-day street style as well as the luxurious trends spotted on the NYFW runway, to ensure you an ultra-sweet Spring ‘16.

1.     Embroidered Mom Jeans

Playful, COMFY, inviting. Not to mention: DIY pairs are a boatload of fun to craft.  Just grab some iron on appliques that say a little something sassy about you and get to work!  Need I say more?

2. Updated Mesh

Whether you’re strutting (stumbling?) to Leits or booking it to class, hot-mess mesh goes chic this season in artfully structured tops in an array of styles.  Layer a minimalistic tank underneath a long sleeve number for an academic look, or opt for a neon bralette in the evening hours for an added punch of color.

3. Vintage Pocketbook

Take leave from following the trends this spring to setting them.  How? With an oldschool, speaks-for-itself handbag, of course.  Scramble through your stylistically-inclined aunt’s closet for an 80s rouge, understated pleather satchel or hit your local thrift shop for a vanity purse covered in wild textiles. Standing out? A given!

4. Foxy Fringe Binge

Spring’s sweet soul sister?  Carefree, easy-breezy skirts that allow you to let your creative juices flow! Get wild with print-mixing and textiles galore or let your matchy-matchy sophistication soar.  Feel out funky fringe this season for a fresh take on a classic.

5. Victorian Secrets

New York Fashion Week’s runways were DRIPPING in Victorian daydreams consisting of sky-high necklines, colossal ruffles and old-timey prints that echoed the simplicity of the era with a modern twist.  Integrate these trends into your wardrobe by pairing them with edgier pieces (think leather skinnies or tie-up aviator sandals) to downplay the potential dingy-factor of pastime florals and up-play the stylish impact.

Alicia Perry

Holy Cross

Sophomore and History and English double major at the College of the Holy Cross