Breaking Down Business Casual

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

You’ve proofread your cover letter a million times, can practically recite your resume verbatim, and finally landed that interview you’ve been hoping for. You dig through the company’s website, prepare a bunch of questions you already know the answer to, and pay too many visits to Career Planning for some extra prep-work.  You think that’s it – you’re golden! You’re ready to nail this interview and land your top internship, so you don’t have to spend another summer scooping ice cream. But no matter how much you mentally prepare for your interview, there’s one aspect you may overlook: your “business casual” outfit. But it’s not just interviews– its networking events, alumni receptions, and various conferences offered at HC that also call for business casual attire. But what even is business casual? Let’s break down the dreaded dress code so the next time you have an interview or a conference, you’re not frantically digging through your closet an hour before.

1. TopsWhile button-down shirts are always a safe bet, simple sweaters are also appropriate for business casual events. Pair the two together or throw a blazer over either of them for a professional, streamlined look. Be sure to always avoid wrinkles and cleavage, as your looks needs to be crisp and professional.
  2. BottomsBoth dress pants and skirts, around knee-length, are appropriate for business-casual attire. Stick to simple, solid colors – black, navy, grey, and khaki are all appropriate. Also, just because you’re in a professional environment your dress pants don’t have to be drab and unflattering! Opt for a timeless, straight leg pant, or invest in a cute pair of cropped dress pants, which will look perfect with flats!
  3. ShoesThe most common business casual shoes are flats and small heels. Make sure to stick to neutral colors – black, navy, nude, and taupe are all appropriate. Also, try to avoid open-toe shoes. However, flat, understated, strappy sandals can sometimes be appropriate in the summer months. Also, avoid high heels, platforms, pastels, and chunky heels.
  4. AccessoriesWhen it comes to accessorizing for business casual, less is more. Certainly, don’t shy away from jewelry but try to stick to understated pieces that don’t overpower your outfit or draw too much attention. Simple necklaces, earrings, and bracelets in neutral colors are all appropriate. Also, pendant necklaces and stud earrings are always a safe bet.
Evan Grogan

Holy Cross

Evan Grogan is a senior at the College of the Holy Cross who is studying abroad for the year at the University of St Andrews. She is an English and Art History double major and eventually hopes to attend graduate school for journalism and write for The New York Times. When Evan is not busy with school and writing for both Holy Cross' newspaper and Her Campus, she loves to read; go for runs; and spend time with her friends. She is obsessed with the color navy, rainbow sprinkles, and anything involving glitter.