The Best Study Foods on The Hill (and where to find them)!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

If any of you are like me, you probably find yourself wanting greasy cheese in pizza form when those late night cravings hit you in the Dinand. We all know that, while pizza and greasy food are definitely necessary at times, they can leave you feeling bloated, and they definitely don’t do anything to aid your tired brain. Especially with finals quickly approaching, these foods will help your brain stay on top of its game! 

1. BlueberriesFull of powerful antioxidants, blueberries can help with your short-term memory and improve overall brain function. Kimball keeps blueberries stocked in the salad bar, so mix some into your yogurt for breakfast or steal a handful in a Ziploc bag to snack on while you study!

2. Whole grainsWe’re used to being told to eat more whole grains…but we don’t usually hear about their super powers! Whole grains offer a steady supply of energy to your body that can keep you focused for much longer. While white carbs are quickly digested for little energy, whole grains offer a longer lasting supply of energy. Get a wheat wrap with turkey and cheese or tuna on whole wheat in upper or lower Kimball to help you power through!

3. Dark chocolateWhile I’m sure most of you don’t need a reason to eat chocolate, using it as a study snack can actually help increase blood flow to the brain, which can help you to stay alert for longer! Feeling like you’re in a fog or can’t focus? Head to the Lobby Shop and pick up some dark chocolate; it’ll perk you up in no time. 

4. TomatoesTomatoes have an effect similar to blueberries, as they are also an excellent source of antioxidants. Eating more tomatoes can help increase brain power by improving basic cognitive functions. Throw some tomatoes into your Kimball stir-fry (delicious with spinach, garlic, chicken, and brown rice) or ask for chopped tomatoes in your salad at the pub.