This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

Easy DIY Beauty Products

Worcester’s cold winter does absolutely no favors for our skin. We’ve all seen articles about “simple” do-it-yourself masks and facials that promise to restore moisture and solve any and all skin problems. However, many of these items like teatree oil (??) are impossible to find and are definitely not available at the Lobby Shop or in Kimball (lol). So, I’ve done a little research, and found some items that can be found right here on The Hill and that will be sure to brighten your skin and restore it to its prewinter glory!

Yogurt

Yogurt is a great way to purify your skin because it’s loaded with all sorts of good bacteria. It works wonders to hydrate and brighten your complexion, while being an awesome base for any mask! You can find Chobani right in the front of the Lobby Shop, or if you’re sneaky, you could manage to take some from the Kimball salad bar. Avoid using any flavored varieties, though.

Oats

Oatmeal is the perfect natural exfoliator. It will draw out dead skin without over-drying! It’s a natural way to soak up some excess oil, too. Snag some from the basket in Kimball, located right between the waffle maker and the dessert cabinet. Because it’s the instant kind, you may want to shake out some of the powder to just get the oats.

Banana

Known as “nature’s Botox”, bananas are an excellent way to wake up tired skin. Mash up a slightly over-ripe one and mix it into any mask for soft, supple skin. You might have to search a little bit, but you can usually find a good one in the bowls that the Kimball staff puts out by the salad bars.

Honey

Sweet and simple, honey does it all. It works as an antihistamine and an antioxidant, while soothing irritation and reducing redness. This miracle worker also moisturizes and gets rid of acne-causing bacteria! It’s easy to find right on the back wall of the Lobby Shop.

Cucumber

The oldest trick in the book, cucumber is an excellent way to hydrate and cool skin. Use them on their own as luxurious eye masks, or slice them up into little bits and mix with yogurt for a nice cooling effect. Find them in abundance right in the salad bar.

Strawberries

An awesome acne-remedy, strawberries are filled with fruity acids. They are the perfect way to fight pimples and brighten skin. Though these are a little less reliable, you can usually find them in the fruit section of the Kimball salad bar.

Now go ahead, and be creative! Figure out what your skin needs, what ingredients you have on hand (or even what will smell the best!) and get to work! For starters, try yogurt, strawberries, and honey, or banana, yogurt and oats.