Alice Laffey: Religious Studies Professor or Baker…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

While Professor Alice Laffey offers a plethora of advice and anecdotes on topics ranging from women in the Old Testament to the art of bread making, the one fact that remains the same is her instruction to “be lifetime learners! Someone who is always interested in learning new things.” That advice is so valuable, because it has been the driving force behind her actions in life. She has worked in the religious studies department at the College of the Holy Cross for over thirty years and has taught many classes including Women in the Bible, Stewardship and Sustainability, and Introduction to the Old Testament.

She says, “I am committed to the education of the whole person. I want students to love to learn, a goal I try and achieve in class everyday. My hope is that students explore many options, even ones that may not be what they are interested in at the moment but could potentially be later on.” Her favorite class to teach is Montserrat, because of “the experience. Students lead the discussions, everyone participates, and I get the chance to learn about each of my students on a more personal basis.” Not only does Professor Laffey love teaching at the College of the Holy Cross, but she also loves the students. They allow her to teach as her intellectual interests develop and give her the freedom to work with “intelligent, capable, and hardworking young adults.”

In fact, she describes Holy Cross students as “wonderful human beings. I can honestly admit that it is thanks to my students that I produced my first book; they were the encouragement and motivation behind it.” In addition to being a published author, Professor Laffey enjoys challenging herself outside the classroom and, as she said before, “constantly learning.” Thus, last spring break she enrolled in a breadmaking course. She learned how to roll out the dough, shape it, and create a delicious loaf. She says of the experience, “I really am committed to learning new things. I can’t say it with integrity if I don’t practice it. Plus, the class helped me move from an intimidated baker to an aspiring one.” Though the baking may be a work in progress, her personality is not, so make sure to introduce yourself the next time you see her. Maybe you will be lucky enough to score a slice.

Evan Grogan

Holy Cross

Evan Grogan is a senior at the College of the Holy Cross who is studying abroad for the year at the University of St Andrews. She is an English and Art History double major and eventually hopes to attend graduate school for journalism and write for The New York Times. When Evan is not busy with school and writing for both Holy Cross' newspaper and Her Campus, she loves to read; go for runs; and spend time with her friends. She is obsessed with the color navy, rainbow sprinkles, and anything involving glitter.