This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

I can’t believe that my time abroad is coming to an end. As I try to make the most of my last couple of weeks in Europe, I’m also definitely feeling the dent in my wallet that all of my traveling has created. It’s no secret that travel is expensive, and traveling on the budget of a college student has posed its own challenges over these past few months. However, I’ve definitely been able to amass a couple of tips and tricks to save where I can while also being able to take advantage of my time here and experience as much as possible. From London, Paris, Amsterdam, Barcelona, Prague, Rome, and beyond, here are my tips to traveling as a college student on a budget! 

1. Experiences, Not Things. 

This was the number one tip that my mom gave me before coming abroad. Being in so many different places in such a short period of time has been amazing, but it’s also overwhelming. Trying to make the best of every place is definitely tricky. I’ve found that focusing on seeing as much as I can of each spot, whether that be through museums, tours, or tourist attractions has proved to be much more fulfilling and economical than spending all of my money on shopping or fancy dinners. 

1. Travel with a group!

I’m very lucky that I was able to come to Ireland with a group of friends and traveling with others definitely helps us save where we could. Splitting taxis, Airbnbs, and meals has undoubtedly cut costs, even if just in small increments.  

1. Ryanair. 

Ryanair is Europe’s cheapest (and most infamous) airline. They provide flights for upwards of 25 Euro, but also scare me half to death with their landing techniques. In all honesty, a cheap flight to see a place across the world that I may never get the chance to visit again is 100% worth it to me. When deciding where to save and splurge, I’d definitely save on the flight in order to be able to fully experience the destination. 

1. Airbnb 

Before coming abroad, I definitely assumed that I would be staying in hostels rather than Airbnbs or hotels. However, Airbnbs have actually proved to be the cheapest, safest, and most practical places to stay in Europe. Splitting an Airbnb between 5 or so people normally equates to the same price, if not cheaper, than that of a hotel or hostel. Being able to lock up valuables is definitely a plus, and opting to cook dinner in a provided kitchen also helps to save on food. 

As travel opens back up again after being shut down for almost two years, I’d recommend keeping these tips in mind if you’re planning on studying abroad next semester or taking a vacation in Europe this summer!

Caroline Sullivan

Holy Cross '23

A Lover of books, coffee, and style from Long Island, New York!