A Playlist of Not-So-Basic Oldies That Will Make Your Parents Proud

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

From the ages of around 5-13 years old, my mom drove me and my sister to school every single day. During a majority of this time, I went to a private school that was about a 25 minute drive from my house. My mom, an ex-singer and musician extraordinaire, would blast music of all genres on the radio during these car rides, singing the lyrics at the top of her lungs and encouraged me and my sister to join her. Whether it was John Mayer, Britney Spears, Billy Joel, or Jay-Z, my mom always knew exactly what musical vibe she was feeling for each and every car ride. A huge chunk of my conscious childhood memories consist of these car rides, and I am so lucky to say that my mom’s killer music taste shaped my personal musical preferences as an adult. While she was well-versed on her modern musicians and songs, I have to admit that I also have a pretty good gage of artists from the 70s, 80s, and 90s. For example, my entire family is obsessed with Billy Joel, and I’ve seen him in concert twice as a result.

Are you looking to expand your knowledge of classic, feel-good, and praise-worthy music that your parents definitely adore? Look no further. Here is my personal playlist of songs that you, and your parents, would definitely approve of.

Songs that your parents would def approve of

• Movin’ Out (Anthony’s Song) – Billy Joel
  • Stand by Me – Ben E. King
  • Don’t You (Forget About Me – Simple Minds
  • Sister Golden Hair – America
  • Baba O’Riley – The Who
  • Who Loves You – Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons
  • My Life – Billy Joel
  • This Is the Time – Billy Joel
  • An Innocent Man – Billy Joel
  • Only Wanna Be with You – Hootie & The Blowfish
  • Heaven – Bryan Adams (fun fact: this was my parents wedding song!)
  • Night Moves – Bob Seger
  • Gypsy – Fleetwood Mac
  • Just Like Heaven – The Cure
  • The Power of Love – Huey Lewis & The News
  • The Fire Inside – Bob Seger
  • Just the Two of Us – Grover Washington, Jr.
  • Tom’s Diner – DNA
  • Right Down the Line – Gerry Rafferty
  • Breakfast at Tiffany’s – Deep Blue Something
  • Everywhere – Fleetwood Mac
  • In Between Days – The Cure
  • Where You Lead I Will Follow – Carole King
  • St. Elmo’s Fire (Man in Motion) – John Parr
  • Heat of the Moment – Asia
  • Lyin’ Eyes – Eagles
  • Peaceful Easy Feeling – Eagles
  • Drive – The Cars

Here’s the link to the Spotify playlist: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0ubmGFNoouSvtmSjIEMVlB?si=0a5fc471bcbd4962

Cassie Smith is a current Psychology major with a minor in Rhetoric & Composition at Holy Cross. When she'd not spending her time working for HerCampus, she's catching up with friends, graphic designing on her iPad, or perfectly organizing her Pinterest boards and Spotify playlists.