7 Things You Have to Do While You Are Home For Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

Spring break is closely approaching and if you do not have crazy plans, it can seem a little daunting. A whole week to do nothing? Also not all colleges have the same break week, so you cannot count on seeing your hometown friends. This week is the perfect time to do absolutely nothing, but if you do get bored, or start to feel lazy, here are some ideas of how you could spend your time!

Clean out your closet

If you are anything like me, you have stacks of clothes that you keep “just incase” this one very niche situation comes up. Now its great to have a full wardrobe but in reality how often to wear each item. Now that you have the time, go through and see what is practical to keep and what is not. The Marie Kondo method suggests only keeping what sparks joy, but I feel as though the flaw with this method lies in the practicality of some items. For example, my fleece undershirts do exactly spark joy, but in these New England winters, they are essential. 

Pick up an old hobby

In high school, there had to be some activity you loved, and therefore bought a million products in pursuit of this hobby. For me that was art, so I have piles and piles of supplies that are never touched. I think that this is a great way to maybe spark up that passion that fell away, or maybe you decide that its finally time to move on and throw away all of the clutter.

Binge that show you’ve been dying to watch

There are so many shows that have been trending recently, but it is so difficult to find a moment during the semester to watch them. This is your time! There are so many options on every media platform but my top suggestions are “Euphoria” (on HBOmax), “The Queen’s Gambit” (Netflix), and “Community” (Netflix).

Organize your school work and plan for the future

During the week all of my organizational tasks seem to fall to the side, as I am too busy with homework to take care of the piles of papers. Break is the perfect time to sit down and hole- punch all of those papers, or write down all of the big assignments in your agenda. By taking the time over break to do this, you are setting yourself up for success for the rest of the semester. Also break is the perfect time to think about your next steps, this could be what classes you are taking next semester or even internship opportunities for the summer. This will help you come back to school prepared to take your next steps, whether that be to meet with an advisor or the career center to work on your resume. 

Read a book

We all tell ourselves we are going to read more, but when it comes down to it, we tend to pick our phones over a book. This is totally fine most of the time, but over break when we have a whole day to ourselves, it can be easy to fall into the trap of TikTok for the whole day and then regret it. The books I have been reading are  “You Should Talk to Someone” by Lori Gottlieb and Amanda Gorman’s book of poems, “Call Us What We Carry”. Both of these are fairly easy reads, which will help with easing back into the habit of reading.

Make a mood board

Mood boards are a great way to not only express your creativity, but also to show what you are trying to manifest in the upcoming months. These can be made out of magazines and printed out images, or just a simple canva collage. If the board turns out well, then it could totally be a decoration for your dorm and hopefully inspire you every time you see it.

Go on a ~hot girl walk~

I am such a big proponent of taking walks outside by yourself. It is a perfect way to get outside but also spend some time reflecting and processing all that is going on in your life. Put on your favorite playlist, or just look up “hot girl walk” on Spotify and you will find a bunch of premade hype playlists. This is also a great time to listen to a podcast or even an audio book. I do not have any great podcast recommendations as I listen to a little bit of everything, but you can find podcasts about everything and anything you are interested in.

Alissandra Conlon

Holy Cross '24

Sophomore majoring in chemistry with a studio art minor. Outside of the classroom you can find me hanging out with my friends, in the dance studio, or out to dinner.